Tormek 2000 problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am having problems with my Tormek. Admittedly getting old now. Basically the wheel wont turn on start up without a little push! Also if I put any pressure on it at first it comes to a halt. After running for a while (minute or so) I can put pressure on it and use. I dont think it is the drive wheel that is the problem as have cleaned it and there seems to be a good contact between the motor shaft and the wheel. Could it be a capacitor problem and if so are these easy to replace.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I'm by no means experienced with these things but i think capacitor may be the issue, i had almost exactly the same problem with a table saw i was gifted a couple years ago where it wouldn't start unless you gave the blade a push...
replaced capacitor and it runs really well. Obviously it may be more difficult to get at on a tormek, but who knows!

How free are the shaft bearings, does the wheel turn freely when cold before power applied.

Might be the bearings seizing up, lack of lubricant or rust if the shaft is not stainless.

If nothing is tight it could be the start capacitor (if it has one) It will be clamped to the motor and be cylindrical. Testing is awkward unless you have a capacitor tester.
Going by what you say though if everything is running free it will almost certainly be the capacitor. Be careful when taking it off as even its gone it can still bite,,,,believe me on that lol.

Chas

The shaft is oiled, will check the bearings when cold in a bit when in workshop but no signs of rust anywhere. Took it apart yesterday and when removed the stone and drive wheel the motor drive shaft spun fine (although didn't out any pressure on it to see if it stopped.). When put back together still had to start it with hand. Don't know if this is relevant.

Kev":1z1kyn70 said:
Chas

The shaft is oiled, will check the bearings when cold in a bit when in workshop but no signs of rust anywhere. Took it apart yesterday and when removed the stone and drive wheel the motor drive shaft spun fine (although didn't out any pressure on it to see if it stopped.). When put back together still had to start it with hand. Don't know if this is relevant.
In that case as mentioned already I think the capacitor is next port of call,
cap.jpg

Attachments

• cap.jpg
    cap.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 69
Back