Considering swapping my RAS for a table saw...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julianf

Established Member
Reaction score
I have one of the Dewalt DW1251 saws.

On paper it does everything, but, in reality, i just dont get the results i want out of it.

Maybe i would if i did all sorts of checks, every time i used it, but, really, i just want something that works repeatedly.

So, im thinking of swapping it out for a table saw. I do not have the space to keep both units.

The RAS, with its table, actually takes up more space than you would initially think, so im hoping that a similarly sized table saw (footprint) would actually be more capable?

What i most want is accuracy and repeatability. I dont really need a panel saw, but i would rather a floorstanding cast unit, than something pressed steel and table top. I was using my friend's metabos a while back, and i hated it. Im sure it would be fine for building work, but you could deflect the far end of the clamped fence with your little finger...

I reckon i may get £150-200 for my RAS. I guess id consider doubling that, but i dont want to be spending over £400 or so really. Obviously its hard not to play the "convincer" but if i aim at 4 and spend 5, that's better than aiming at 5, and spending £1k!

My aim is small, well finished, wooden boxes, but also need the capacity to do larger stuff.

Any comments / suggestions?

Hi there. You will get a lot of folk suggest the axminster ts250, which my first saw, the 200 was a smaller variant of. It is cast, and fairly accurate but not capable of cutting large pieces.
I use an old wadkin, with some upgrades, that I picked up for peanuts some years ago. The upgrades cost more than the saw, but it is a great tool. Mine is an ags10, which is, in fact, a small wadkin. You will find they are well thought of, and deservedly so. You can pick them up 2nd hand for your budget. I don't think you'll do much better for a table saw. But, did you consider a plunge/track saw? I'll let someone else take over here; hope that helps some.
All the best
W

Startrite 275DS ("DS" meaning sliding table)
Seems to beat other saws in all features, capacity and power....
Is as easily movable as a smaller unit, since the table is the heaviest part
and can be put into a small hatchback by yourself when taken apart.

3 phase ones have a dual voltage motor,so would need a hundred quid VFD to work,
but thats work on a 13a plug instead of a 16a blue plug.

Get to learn the dangers of these machines by watching a few hours of videos like Kelly Mehler
masteryourtablesaw on youtube, gwinnet woodworkers has old lengthy videos on TS safety
read here and anywhere else you can get good info.
use a riving knife all the time and a blade guard on it too.
New machines with all these accessories often look new and shiny, but these are often flimsy efforts
of what you would do yourself.

Get a nice hand plane like a 5 1/2 or bigger to flatten that stock to register against your fence.
Do your homework on safety
Good luck

I have had a brief look through Ebay's completed listings.

The Wadkin AGS 10 sells, sometimes, for surprisingly little, and, on the right day, would be well within my budget, and space allowance.
The Startrite looks like a more capable saw, but is also more expensive and larger. This isnt a deal breaker, but they also seem less common on the used market.

Would there be much between them for accuracy of cut / performance of fence etc?

Hi Julian
Those Wadkins usually have a fixed star wound three phase motor, that's not suitable
for VFD's wothout some serious mods that only Bob Minchin does, as far as I'm aware.
Maybe your looking at single phase ones though...Have you got a 16a supply?

Not sure how much juice a single phase 3hp motor on a tablesaw needs to get started...
doubtful you have seen any with 13a plugs,
If you have seen a 13a plug, it probably indicates a smaller motor like a 1 or 2HP.
So if you want flexibility when choosing a machine, dont rule out dual voltage motors and VFD's
As I said, you can run a 3 phase (dual voltage) 3HP motor no problem with the 13a plug if you
get a VFD.

The 275's were used in schools all over, so as common as mud.
They shouldn't be any more expensive either...infact, I would have thought the other way round.

I don't think there's much difference in space if any, as the table takes most of the footprint anyway.
And you would be able to get as accurate as you like on either machine.
Good luck

I had not looked at the power situation, but i had noticed that some were 1ph, and some 3ph.

My direct drive compressor is 3hp, and eats 13a fuses merrily as soon as the cable gets too long. Ive got it hard wired to some 2.5mm which is a push to get into a normal 13a plug. When i re-do the wiring there will be plenty of amps, but only just the 1ph.

I dont have a converter, but im not opposed to getting one. Ive turned down, or changed the motors on enough items in the past that a converter should have been purchased years ago (but they were more money then, i guess)

I used the RAS again today, and, as per normal, got a slightly out cut. I know people do get good results from them, but id rather be using tools than constantly re-setting them, hence wanting to get the table saw right - to the extent that, if i cant get what i want for the money i want to spend, ill just go without - i find it frustrating when things are not as they should be.

My paid work is industrial engraving - as an example, ill post a photo -

dscf4271.jpg

That's a penny, not a 2 pence. So the unicorns head, which would fit on the cheek of the queen, is smaller than some of the glue joint would have to be if i just used my RAS bindly.... (hence you can seem my frustration, im sure! : )

Hi again
The 3 phase machines should be way cheaper
The VFD's are not called specifically called converters ...other names of these devices are as follows...
VFD's as in Variable frequency Drives, drives,inverters,
Some call them VSD's variable speed drives
Here is a recent thread where I waffled on lengthy about them :roll:
can-anyone-fit-a-3-phase-inverter-for-me-t109500.html

I have other threads here about the Startrite 275, no time to look for them
I should really compile all those things together

Your work looks fantastic BTW
Good luck
Tom

Back