Garage/workshop planning advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson1984

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I’ve got the sparky coming round Friday to sort my electrics in the garage and I cannot decide what to do with the walls. I’m torn between painting the walls white and getting him to use steel conduit to route the cabling, or leave the walls get the electrics done then insulate and plaster...

Help! I will be insulating the roof and fitting an insulated roller door. The floor will be covered in rubber tiles.

The garage is used for projects and as a gym so want it to be comfortable without going nuts

2 or 3 ins square trunking round the top of the room then conduit for the drops to the sockets, plastic conduit is tough enough for a "domestic" workshop

You can put the insulation over the conduit. Ask the electrician to size cables appropriately. Steel conduit is expensive to install properly and heavy duty plastic is more than adequate for all but the most demanding locations. Trunking around the top as per flying haggis' suggestion is also good and give flexibility for the future.

Back