Woodworking Shows

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morpheus83uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone know if there are any woodworking / tool shows around the Manchester area in 2018? I have never been to one but have been told they are very good and you can have a good look at tools and get lots of great information from the manufacturers and professionals directly. So I think it would be worth going to one or two just to have a look around and gain some knowledge.

Thanks

James

Prepare to be disappointed. They usually offer a depressing market-stall arrangement of people trying to sell you stuff you don't need. There is always lots for turners, but if you go, for instance, to see some inspiring high-end furniture projects or the like, you'll want your entrance money back generally.

Happy New Year :)

Thanks both for your responses. Even if I get to talk to some professionals that would be good just for the knowledge but I can only have a look and see what they say but I take on board your comments about it being basically a market selling hall.

AndyT I didnt know there was a sticky! Thank you for posting that I will check that out now.

James

I am in the North West and with the exception of a show in Llandudno many years ago do not think I have ever heard of one. To look at tools some of the tool suppliers have open days where they get a few different manufacturers along. Have a look at the Record and Festool websites to see where they are going, they may be doing open days rather than events specific to them.

Oh right I didn't know they did specific ones, I may contact a few suppliers to see if they are having any open days at least its something else to have a look for.

OK, it's not a show, but Axminster Tools have a store in Warrington. It's got to be worth a visit.

Hi Peter,

Peter Sefton":xgaeir6y said:
............. and a new show at the NEC on May 5th and 6th. Cheers Peter

It seems to be primarily a showcase for "Internet makers" with, as far as I could see, only a small number of manufacturers and, currently, quite a lot of empty stands. The cost of £25 on the day or £20 for early bird booking perhaps reflects the fact that it is, primarily, a showcase for "Internet makers" that is perhaps looking to attract a different audience to the one that normally attends woodworking shows in the UK.

Just my 2p.

Neil

Newbie_Neil":cgreskmh said:
Hi Peter,

Peter Sefton":cgreskmh said:
............. and a new show at the NEC on May 5th and 6th. Cheers Peter

It seems to be primarily a showcase for "Internet makers" with, as far as I could see, only a small number of manufacturers and, currently, quite a lot of empty stands. The cost of £25 on the day or £20 for early bird booking perhaps reflects the fact that it is, primarily, a showcase for "Internet makers" that is perhaps looking to attract a different audience to the one that normally attends woodworking shows in the UK.

Just my 2p.

Neil

The Makers Central event is going to be quite different to the usual woodworking shows, it will be interesting to see the related crafts and visitor demographics.

Cheers Peter

Thanks for the replies!

When you say "Internet Makers" I presume that's people who have made things and are selling them for example?

I will also check out Axminster Tools in Warrington too to a look :)

Thanks

James

Looks much more about people who make their money from posting stuff on youtube, getting "followers" and generating income from this "fan base". Often creative and engaging people but maybe a minority with traditional craft or cabinetry skills.

The NEC show. Please tell me someone is having a laugh. £25 to look around a market!!! Just checked on the NEC website and you have to pay for parking as well!

bourbon":16mrhjyl said:
The NEC show. Please tell me someone is having a laugh. £25 to look around a market!!! Just checked on the NEC website and you have to pay for parking as well!

+1

Back