Poolewood 28-40 tool rest locking mechanism

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brusletto

Reaction score
I have just bought a Poolewood 28-40 mechanical control lathe.
It has been in pieces for the last 20 years but after a lot of elbow grease it is looking and running smoothly.
I am unable to find a manual for it and I cannot see how the tool rest locking mechanism works. Is there a ball bearing missing in the system. I daren't use it as the tool rest isn't fully locking.
Any help will be gratefully received.
Rob

Rob, Welcome to the world of Poolewood.

There are a few posts about these lathes that you might find interesting but for your immediate problem - there should be a brass cylinder (12mmx12mm from memory) that sits in front of the locking mechanism and bears on the adjustment screw/arm interface IYSWIM.

I also have a printed version of the manual, so if you pm me your email, then I can let you have a scanned copy.

I'm a newbie turner and have had my 28-40 for a few months now, but am enjoying the experience tremendously. I'm sure you'll be the same.

Andy

Edited to correct sizing

Ah, have just realised I can't receive pm's as I'm also a newbie (poster) on the forum :oops: .

You can contact me via 42rubbish
at idnet
dot
com if you want though.

(Hope this doesn't break any forum rules - its Christmas :deer )

Andy

The locking relies on an eccentric cam. In the banjo there is an insert which screws in or out to the correct place to make the locking effective. If there is an empty threaded hole there, it is missing and so will have to replaced with something.

Sorry I can’t help you regarding your original question, but you don’t hear much about this lathe, but I’m really pleased to have this as my main lathe. I hope you find the same with yours as well.

Regards

Brusletto":1n2dmkey said:
I daren't use it as the tool rest isn't fully locking.

Are you referring to the actual tool rest stem or the saddle?
The Tool Rest clamping is a simple threaded bolt impinging on the stem on my machine.

Regarding the Saddle:-
If your version of the Lathe is the same as the two I've had/have experience with then the tool rest locking spindle in the lower section has an eccentric section along its length.

There is a long bar in the top rest section.

These are connected togther with two Eye Nut type fittings with a short length of threaded rod locked in place with locking nuts.

It's a case of adjusting this threaded link portion to find the appropriate length to give you enough release for easy sliding of the tool rest sadle and a firm clamp when the eccentric spindle is rotated.

Not paticulary easy to get the optimum as the two Eye Nuts need to be in the same orientation.
sadlelink.jpg

Attachments

• sadlelink.jpg
    sadlelink.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,007
Back