Plywood for lining out workshop walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonsafari69

Established Member
Reaction score
I plan to line the workshop walls with 3/4” - 18mm plywood.

My questions are:

1) Structural or non structural?

2) Softwood or hardwood?

What are your thoughts?

I’m aware I’m not answering your question, but isn’t plywood overkill for this job? Why not OSB? It’s a lot cheaper and just as functional as ply, eg ability to take screws, support shelves etc.

Cost isn’t a major player as this will be a workshop that will stay with me for hopefully a long time. Ply will no doubt react better to moisture but to be honest I’ve not really considered OSB. I may do though, depending on the feedback I get on the different types of ply. Thanks for the idea.

Used 1/2" non-structural hardwood throughout mine and was plenty strong enough. In reality you will likely use the framework to support heavy shelving. Been up for many years without issue. I found the best place for price at the time was Wickes (of all places) and I haggled with them on top of that. OSB won't work out that much cheaper IMO and not as good a finish for an internal wall.

What are the reasons for choosing plywood over say plasterboard or insulated plasterboard?

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Main reason for the ply is so it can take a good knock and be strong enough to hang stuff from. It’s for the workshop so will avoid plasterboard.

Whatever you choose, I would go and see it. There is plywood and there is plywood......if you get my drift!

Some of the budget softwood plywoods can be pretty clean. The cheapest shuttering ply can be ok but can also be quite skanky.

Also some merchants dont store it properly, so if you dont want it buckled be careful where you buy.

Moonsafari69":2pqxt7b4 said:
Main reason for the ply is so it can take a good knock and be strong enough to hang stuff from. It’s for the workshop so will avoid plasterboard.
Interesting, yeah I suppose that will be useful.
I was thinking of insulated plasterboard in my garage workshop for fire safety and warmth.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

RobinBHM":ooy338uq said:
Whatever you choose, I would go and see it. There is plywood and there is plywood......if you get my drift!

Very much this, if you can, select the sheets yourself. Whenever I've ordered large quantities of ply in the past I've always added a few extra to the list as I know I'm going to reject some at the point of delivery.

+1 for OSB here.

My triple garage workshop has been clad in 11mm OSB for several years and supports many cabinets shelves etc without any issues.
Using plywood for this would simply be a waste in my view.

Certainly going to choose the boards myself. I have a Wickes just down yhe road, maybe not the cheapest but worth the extra few quid to select them I’m sure.

shed9":20dqourm said:
RobinBHM":20dqourm said:

Very much this, if you can, select the sheets yourself. Whenever I've ordered large quantities of ply in the past I've always added a few extra to the list as I know I'm going to reject some at the point of delivery.
Here is some 18mm 'hardwood' ext plywood sent to me a few weeks ago:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM ... 94UElPei1B

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM ... 94UElPei1B

Moonsafari69":2bx10bjp said:
I plan to line the workshop walls with 3/4” - 18mm plywood.

My questions are:

1) Structural or non structural?

2) Softwood or hardwood?

What are your thoughts?

The answer is that the very worst 18mm ply will be more than enough to satisfy any need you have in the building. It will provide the necessary racking resistance, act as a vapour barrier, retain your insulation, and be more than enough for fixing medium weight stuff to directly without going into a stud. Therefore, the choice is entirely down to your aesthetics and budget. I have no idea at all why anyone would use anything more than 12mm for this task. Handling 18mm sheets is a nightmare.

Used 18mm cCinese hardwood ply for my workshop walls. Inspected it first. Bought one sheet to cut up for a project and it was quite good. Solid, few voids, reasonably flat without waves.

I rejected OSB because its just wafer board. It is ugly. It attracts dust and holds it to the surface. It can suck up gallons of paint. Its rough and not too pleasant to handle. Plus point its relatively cheap.

Ply has a smooth surface and good holding power. Does not hold dust to the surface like OSB. Easy to paint and absorbs not too much paint. Better to screw into. Minus point is it can be damned heavy.

Latest posts

Back