Thread milling for box lids

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strebora

Reaction score
I am trying to find a UK source for 60* thread milling cutters as seen on many internet sites that show thread cutting for box lids etc but cannot find a supplier. Would appreciate any leads.

Are we in the realms of thread milling or tapping?I understand the theory of thread milling on CNC machines,but have never known it to be done on woodworking projects.

worn thumbs":2jhgo1u1 said:
Are we in the realms of thread milling or tapping?I understand the theory of thread milling on CNC machines,but have never known it to be done on woodworking projects.

Thread 'chasing' on wooden box lids, sure. But the 'milling' part of the OP was the reason I posted engineering tools.

These are 18tpi but I have no idea what angle the teeth are.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/crown-thread-chasers-111074

worn thumbs":3efgrbie said:
jig.jpg
gewindedrehapparat_45a2043257e407_600x600.jpg

The Hope Jigs are specifically designed to cut male and female threads on wood turning projects, several thread pitches are available.

Attachments

• jig.jpg
    jig.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 974
  • gewindedrehapparat_45a2043257e407_600x600.jpg
    gewindedrehapparat_45a2043257e407_600x600.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 973
Wow! what a response. Thank you all for your help. Hope Woodturning had the very thing I was after and it is now ordered and hopefully on its way.
For those of you whom I seem to have confused with my description if you pick up one of the threads to Hope Woodturing it shows a picture of the required item.
Many thanks to all of you.

Have to admit guys, not being a turner I did not know what you where all taking about, but you have now educated me, thank you, maybe one day I will need the information. (hammer)

Mike :ho2

Back