Had to make one once at least

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommo 62

Established Member
Reaction score
Well nearly made my first tool handle. Made a brass bit for the end of handle on metal work lathe. just need to find some brass tube or a bush at work to fit on the tool end of the handle. That's why not finished it yet need the size of brass ferrule first.

Then I had a play with some silver Birch and this developed from the branch. Will let it dry out some more before i gouge out the bowl end.

tommo

I use copper tube for ferrules. Not as pretty as brass but looking at the thickness of some brass ferrules I suspect copper pipe would be stronger. I did some domestic plumbing so had various offcuts in 15mm, 22mm and 28mm to use, (not much use for 15mm, apart from file handles) basically free of charge. Do you know any plumbers, or diy enthusiasts?

K

We use brass bushes in gearboxes we build at work so will have a look around on Monday. If not then i will go down the 22mm copper tube route. Don't think i plan to make many handles. Just that i want to make a dovetail gouge to allow mounting in my new chuck Santas bringing.
They are a little to expensive for what its used for so plan to make my own and use the handle on it.

tommo

I have always used copper tuning and not had any problems. Some people use the nuts from brass plumbing fittings and turn the outside round and open the hole to take the shaft size of the tool

I've used some olives from brass 3/4" & 1" fittings which were rattling round the toolbox.

318.jpg

Found brass bush at work for the end of handle opened it out on lathe and fitted.

part it off later and fit the other end insert

tommo

tommo 62":3u970q93 said:
..... Just that i want to make a dovetail gouge to allow mounting in my new chuck Santas bringing.
They are a little to expensive for what its used for so plan to make my own and use the handle on it.

Don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but if like me you try that route I think you will find that it sits in the tool rack long enough for you to repurpose it into something more useful.

I always just use a 1/2" flat skew, flat on its side on the rest, to form dovetail shaping on spigots and sockets.

CHJ":cvpd6kom said:
I always just use a 1/2" flat skew, flat on its side on the rest, to form dovetail shaping on spigots and sockets.

What he said ^^^

A dovetailing tool is a one-trick pony that you'll probably never ride.

I also have never used a dovetailing tool for mine and use either a parting tool to for the dovetail or as suggested above a skew used like a scraper. It also depends on the chuck as not all of them require a dovetail.
If you decide not to make one after this the handle will not go to waste as it has given you practice in copy turning and I am sure there will be other tools that you could use it on.

The chuck i bought is a patriot and all the jaws use dovetail on them .So that's why i decided to make one.Will be the same angle every time then.

Well i used my metal turning lathe 4 jaw chuck for the first time today to put taper on the square tool steel bar i got from work .Then i started to grind 4 four flats on to it to fit inside the handle.

not finished the tang yet but nearly there.

Tried it on bit of wood fits chuck spot on. im all for the easy life,and plenty of wood left for more handles.

Ignor the cutout behind cutting tip.That was part of the tool leg i used.Can stay there doing no harm.

tommo

This was mine, use lasted about a month before its limitations relegated it to the "seemed like a good idea at the time" rack.

______
smDSCN0164.jpg

post344980.html#p344980

This is the method I use all the time.
post1093854.html#p1093854

Remember when making your dovetails spigots and sockets that you need to establish the depth to maximise the support on C type jaws..
file.php

post1080921.html#p1080921

Back