What is this wngine/pulley/winch?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Shmoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, come across the below, connected to a small portable engine. Can anyone tell me what it's for?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171214-071644-360x640.png
    Screenshot_20171214-071644-360x640.png
    123.4 KB · Views: 785
Worm drive reduction box, gives a huge reduction in speed & massive increae in torque. Commonly used in garage door openers or similar applications. Bigger versions were made by Radicon & often used to drive heavy winching equipment,

Cheers Keith. Here's the actual item. Looks homemade so any guesses as to what it's for? I bought it in auction for the engine which I wanted to remove and use, but now wondering if it has greater value as a whole thing?

here you go, watch a crazy american living in italy play with them (he gives a bit of an explanation too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny5Xxwwpkxs

looks to be a wide belt drive for something, mark the output shaft and rotate the input shaft, count the number of turns to get a full revolution of the output shaft, should give you the gear reduction which may give a better understanding of it's use. as said they are extremely deep reduction so something thats belt driven off one is unusual.

edit, or a winch, but I can't see anywhere for a strap to be locked in.

novocaine":lm6ld4ua said:
...or a winch, but I can't see anywhere for a strap to be locked in.

A capstan winch relies on rope turns and tension around the capstan. Easy to control the pull too, just let go of the rope a bit and it slips. Allows for a (theoretically) infinite length of pull.

A rather crude, but nonetheless perfect example...

[youtube]oNNkNc7mFJ4[/youtube]

fair comment Naz, although the pulley looks a bit small to me for a capstan, I wasn't thinking marine, more something on a trailer for pulling a vehicle on to the bed.

still, now you've said it, it does look like the pulley is worn, so I'd be tempted to say you are 100% correct.

Hahah, Novacaine! Thanks to. You and all you guys for your help. All great information. There's so many knowledgeable gents on here. Thanks kindly.

Joe Shmoe":2pzap6bw said:
Hahah, Novacaine! Thanks to. You and all you guys for your help. All great information. There's so many knowledgeable gents on here. Thanks kindly.

not me, Naz planted the seed that popped the answer up.

novocaine":3ilr1srg said:
Naz planted the seed that popped the answer up.

The capstan winch idea came from cable pulling when I worked on BT, although I'd never seen a small portable one like that. Ours were big towable jobs, like this...

CW3000-Thumb.png

A great invention really, if you weren't getting enough tug on it, a quick flick of the wrist put another loop of rope around the capstan for more grip, and like I said before, just relax your grip to let it free-spin.

Must pulled 1000's of miles of cable in (and out) with one of those.

Good tip, when you pull a cable in, attach a rope to it so there's a rope already in the duct for the next time. :-D

Uuuurgggh, and I've just remembered the 'lube' we used. Huge buckets of white snot that we affectionately called 'monkey-spaff', it stank and got everywhere.

Back