Pickled my brain with lathe choice!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaddyG

Reaction score
I am looking to get a lathe for the shed, mainly to try turning pens but also probably bowls too.

I'm looking at the smaller lathes due to space issues !

I have looked at Charnwood, Axminster and Record but partly due to not knowing what I really need I have pickled my brain.

I would be grateful of any advice of anyone who has experience in lathes and pen turning.

Thanks in advance.

are you wanting to buy new or secondhand? what is your budget?

I would suggest firstly joining a club where you can try a few lathes out and get a feel for what you like and don't like

Hi DaddyG, i'm in the same position or was, eventually i made my decision to go for a Charnwood w824, which is the same as the Axi AH-1218vs, except that it has a digital rpm readout so you know what speed you are at, and built in 24 point indexing, i will be getting it towards the end of January, i don't know what i will be turning in the long term but with the extension bed allows for expansion in the future and a good sized motor make it for me a good starting point, when i was looking i did notice that there was nothing on the used market regarding Charnwood, is this good or bad i don't know, does it mean they are total carp and get scrapped or are they a good machine that people keep, anyway that's my 2 cents worth, good luck with your search and let us know how you get on and which machine you decide to get, cheers.

You have space issues, but don't let size put you off anything a little larger than you were condidering - as Dalboy said, you can turn small things on big lathes - but not the other way around. See the little blackwood and silver goblet on top of one of the tools in the foreground? That was turned on this lathe.
DSCN2448.JPG

DSCN2447.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2448.JPG
    DSCN2448.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 1,144
  • DSCN2447.JPG
    DSCN2447.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 1,144
Thanks for the replies, I think I Ave completely frazzled my brain as I must of deleted the paragraph saying I was looking at new but would consider used if local.

I would probably just use it to make small bowls so I don't think it would influence my decision to much.

Was looking for entry level lathes say £250 but would increase the budget if something more suitable was available.

Space is a real issue am in a 3m x 2m shed and already have mitre saw bench, table saw, planer thicknesser and bench drill !!!

DaddyG, I thought I had done well cramming machines into my shed. At least you're well equipped to build a bigger shed, 'cos after that lathe the bandsaw is going to be a real squeeze.

Good luck.

BTW I would re-iterate what others have said. A good 2nd-hander is wise choice if you can find one.

Have just built the shed and won't be able to go bigger!!!

Was looking at a small bandsaw!!! Will probably share the wheeled bench that the table saw and planer sits on!!
But will need to find a spot to store another machine under my bench?
Am looking at second hand but nothing local as yet.

Well am following am following an Axminster AH 1218vs on fleabay looks like it has a chuck too !!

Am winning at min and ends lunch time so fingers crossed!!!

Back