Workshop reading / bifocal glasses

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sickasapike

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I could do with getting some more throwaway reading glasses, which I will use in the workshop too. I need them for clearer sight and also use them as basic safety wear for less scary operations; I have a full face shield for table saw cuts etc.

I was wondering if anyone might reccommend a model or brand, I'd like them to be fairly sturdy (i.e. solid moulded frame and lens, not glass and wire) and largeish to better protect against flying shards - so as well as being a barrier in the direct line of tool to eye, also catch anything that might hit my upper cheek, say, and bounce towards my eye.

Bifocal would be great, I need about 1.75 for reading rulers etc properly.

I've been looking at bifocal cycling specs, which look ideal in terms of coverage, but look a little silly - not a huge problem, mainly for the shop, but would be nice to find something that doesn't look lie I'm about to go cycling; ideally I'm looking for large reading glasses rather than sports wear.

As mentioned, these are in addition to a full face shield when I feel the need, no need to tell me that reading glasses aren't supposed to be protective eyewear, these are mainly to help me focus but they might as well be a bit larger, so cover a bit more face, than the ones I have now since I will have them on constantly.

LeeElms":6et25m98 said:
Hi thanks, yep, these are like the cycling ones - no problem finding these, I'm after ones that are more like normal reading glasses but a bit on the large side with a bifocal area; I'll buy a few pairs at once, and if you wear reading specs you'll know how they can wander around and get mixed up with other pairs :) - so want some that are also handy for putting in my bag, sitting in a cafe reading a paper etc. without looking like a refugee from a bike race :)

Lots of stuff out there, I don't want to trouble people to go looking, lots of options online, just wondering if anyone has any personal reccomendations.

specsavers have a range of prescription safety glasses

I tried some of those varifocal glasses ,cost an arm and a leg and nearly a few fingers,very strange feeling trying to get used to them,in the end I abandoned them just too dangerous around spinning blades.

specs.png

These are the closest I've found , I've got a pair of these as well as the cycle style.

Got them from

http://www.straightlines.com/BiFocalSafetySite/bifocal-safety-glasses

Attachments

• specs.png
    specs.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,071
Thanks all, I have a similar pair to the photo above, not used them since I got the face shield. I'm not after prescription/pricey ones, these will get thrown around the shop etc.

I'll post if I find something closer to perfect, cheers all.

Droogs":24s59gva said:
specsavers have a range of prescription safety glasses

but they are not very good nor cheap there are better ones available

I buy glasses direct from a local manufacturer who supplies independent opticians, through him I can get top quality at lowish prices with accurate fitting by a professional (high street opticians use shop assistants with a couple of hours training whose main task is to flog you add ons).
I have some "desk glasses" these are to my prescription and are bifocal BUT only crystal clear vision up to 4 meters, they are marvellous for the workshop but were not cheap.

OP: sorry, I know its not what you asked :oops:

Have you looked at fishing glass's they tend to be a bit more stylish and some have an increased magnification area on the lower part of the lens.

Mike

Faced with a similar dilemma I visited (3) local chemists to look at the range of reading glasses. Looking for +2 dioptre with a largish frame width ( big head) and largish lenses. Found 2 pairs for 9.95 each.

I buy mine from the local pile it high, sell it cheap emporium. Think they are 2 or 3 quid a pop. No idea of the make but they work a treat.

I got mine off e-bay, the 1.75 were harder to find but only paid around £12.00 if I remember correctly. Plenty of 1.50 and 2 which I not....

Latest posts

Back