Do you check your bandsaw blades?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rorschach

Reaction score
Do you routinely check bandsaw blades when you buy them? I never have and today I was rewarded with finding all my new 2270mm blades were actually 2370mm #-o
Had to put an old blade back on to complete the job and now I have lot more sanding to do :(

Surely you couldn't have used them being 4" too long, so how come you have more sanding to do with your original blade? Did you check your order to see if a number was wrong?

Alexam":266sp7f1 said:
Surely you couldn't have used them being 4" too long, so how come you have more sanding to do with your original blade? Did you check your order to see if a number was wrong?

No I was taking an old blade off and putting a new one on to find it and the others from that order were too big. I have to do more sanding because my old blade is dull and now has a bit of wobble to the cut.

Like yourself, I check when I install them. I've had blades ½'' shorter than ordered. No problem with a replacement, but annoying nonetheless.

Only ever use one supplier, never check blades on delivery. Did have one problem, same as yours 3 blades all 100mm too long, all labelled the correct length. No problem with replacement.

Could be a bad measuring day or wrong order by the supplier #-o but we all makes mistakes :cry: .

Oh I am sure it was simple user error, I am hopping replacement will be straightforward.

No but I have written the length of the ones I need on the bandsaw to remind of what to order.

Beau":3hdq1hhd said:
No but I have written the length of the ones I need on the bandsaw to remind of what to order.

Being an axminster saw it has a handy information plate with that on it. Very few of my other tools do though so like you I write important info on the tool. My porta-band was awkward to sort out blades for so when I did find a supply I bought several. 3 years on, still using the first one lol.

I am not as rich as you lot, up until now i have only ever had the blade on the bandsaw. A couple of months ago i flashed out and bought two, a 1/4 and a 3/8 width. :D

Beware if you have an axminster 350N. There are a lot of them with the wrong blade length printed on the data plate.

Luckily for me, I did not realise that plate was there when I first ordered blades, I just took off the one on the machine and measured it.
I contacted axminster and the fault has been rectified, but check your machine blade, rather than read off the plate.

Tuffsaws is now aware of this discrepancy (his data sheet was also wrong) and I now have the correct length written on the machine in magic marker and scrubbed out the incorrect length.

Well I got the replacement blades of the correct size and the incorrect blades have found a new home here.

Quick tip, measure your blades when coiled, manke a note of the size and then you can quickly and easily check blades when they arrive. I now know that my 2270mm blades should measure 240mm if I measure the inside diameter when coiled. The incorrect 2370mm blades measured 250mm diameter, so not a big enough difference to spot by eye. Now I know this though it took me seconds to check the replacement blades.
Happy to have the bandsaw up and running again now I have finish cutting christmas gifts and decs lol.

Latest posts

Back