Record bs250 or axminister 200n

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaci

Established Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide which bandsaw, the size is ample for what I want to cut ,but which one they both look identical. Some much needed advice and guidance would be really helpful

gaci":2tee17ec said:
Trying to decide which bandsaw, the size is ample for what I want to cut ,but which one they both look identical. Some much needed advice and guidance would be really helpful
These are not entirely equivalent. The Axminster HBS250N is more the equivalent to the Record Power for max cut width. The Record Power probably has the edge on quailty over the Axy hobby range. You'd have to step up to a Trade model to do better than the RP.

What is it you intend to do? These little saws are ok in the right setting, but if you plan on resawing hardwood and cutting bowl blanks etc. they can be woefully underpowered.

I had the Axy 250 at one point and sold it for a Scheppach Basa 3, as it just couldn't handle Oak at any decent depth.

Just a bandsaw for small work that my scrollsaw can't do. I see I got the wrong axminster code it is the 250 version. It does look like a better fence than RP and a useful cupboard. But if the build quality isn't there I'd rather less than more....

I have the Record BS250 and have been very happy with it. No problem whatsoever resawing Oak, Mahonony, Walnut, Maple, etc.etc. I've cut some very nice and accurate slices a couple of mm thick and about 80cm high. Just set the machine up accurately, take the cut nice and slow and use a sharp, good quality bandsaw blade (Tuffsaws).

gaci":3n9a6lhn said:
Just a bandsaw for small work that my scrollsaw can't do. I see I got the wrong axminster code it is the 250 version. It does look like a better fence than RP and a useful cupboard. But if the build quality isn't there I'd rather less than more....

The quailty is ok on the Hobby Axy. The fence is fine. Probably looks better on the picture. Ironically, the cam based lock down mechanism on the hobby Bandsaws is better than it used to be on the old TS200/250 tablesaws (where it actually matters more). Thankfully they've changed now.

Don't buy it based on the metal cupboard. It's just a small metal box that you can throw a few blades in etc. It would be more stable bolted to a bench tbh.

Getting hands on is the way to go. If there is a Axy store and a place selling Record Power stuff near you, check them out.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

I find the fence on the Record BS250 adequate but I don't have any experience with better quality fences on beefier machines.
I've never had a problem with the fence but I take care to gently push down on it whilst tightening it up to ensure it's square to the table. I always check the squareness of the fence after tightening it down as it's quite a lightweight (but adequate) affair.
The Record 5 year guarantee is nice to have and savings on the machine can be had if you go to one of the many Record Power open days.

Back