Compressor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
just got a new compressor...never had one before
newbie question
it is higher psi than tool is specced for
instructions state connect up power tool open valve turn on compressor then adjust output pressure
do i really want to do this and risk too much pressure to tool?
or can I leave valve shut and adjust pressure?

Steve

Follow the instructions the higher pressure won't affect the tool initially just run the tool at reccomended pressure.

Does the compressor have a regulator?If not,you could always buy one and be sure the line pressure is within the tool's limits.

Not really sure what your compressor is like , but mine has 2 pressure gauges leading from the pressure tank to the output . The first gives the tank pressure reading while the other gives the pressure to the tool. On mine there is a valve between them that regulates the amount of output pressure. A little trial and error and you will soon be regulating like a pro. Hope that wasn't too very confusing and helps you out.

The instructions are probably assuming you're starting from an empty tank, because I see no reason why you shouldn't adjust your regulator up/down with the valve shut... unless the tank is empty in which case you'll be reading zero!

On mine I start with a completely closed output valve, start the compressor and simply open it up 'til I reach the recommended tool pressure on the outfeed side. Let the pressure build to max before you start adjusting and this method works very well.

After the initial setting of pressure on the tool line, you will need to make fine adjustments when the tool is running. Static line pressure will be higher than operating pressure.

Back