No Load Switch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodger7

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have recently bought a Draper dust extractor that is fitted with a no load switch. The extractor is in a shed attached to my workshop but it is plugged in to the workshop. I would like to remove the no load switch so that the extractor can be controlled from the workshop switched socket. My ideal solution would be to replace it with a standard switch.
Does anyone know if this is do-able? Thanks.

I used to run my extractor in the way you are suggesting,I used pull light switches which hung over the lathe so I had no excuse for not using extraction,I experienced no problems at all,however it does depend on the power of your extractor.I recently heard that an ordinary light switch is not ideal for this purpose and a switch designed to take a heavier current would be better,in answer to your question I would say it can definitely be done but seek advice from an electrician to ascertain the safest way to do it.

Are you sure there is no way of activating it without a device attached? I previously had a vacuum cleaner that worked this way, it had an on/off switch, and a detecting/not detecting switch. if the detecting switch was off then the standard on/off switch would operate the vacuum as normal.

I think you mean a no volt switch? It's just a latching switch so yes, it can be replaced with a double pole switch. I'm not entirely sure why an extractor would need a NVR switch anyway. It makes sense for a lathe or other machinery but an extractor is just a glorified hoover and they don't have NVR switches.

Paul Hannaby":2siuggic said:
. I'm not entirely sure why an extractor would need a NVR switch anyway. It makes sense for a lathe or other machinery but an extractor is just a glorified hoover and they don't have NVR switches.
Not all folks are sensible enough to unplug/disconnect an extractor from the supply whilst clearing a build up of shavings from the impeller. Let's face it one of the first things most owners do is remove the finger guard from the extractor inlet to reduce the blockage potential.

Thank you all for your very helpful replies. I will try Paul's suggestion as it now seems that a straight replacement might be possible. My thoughts on the No Volt switch (which I now see is what I should have called it) coincide with those of Paul but I can see the logic of CHJ's reply. However, the present switch is just a nuisance to me so I will change it as soon as I can find a replacement double pole switch that fits.

CHJ":gk6z7ss5 said:
Paul Hannaby":gk6z7ss5 said:
. I'm not entirely sure why an extractor would need a NVR switch anyway. It makes sense for a lathe or other machinery but an extractor is just a glorified hoover and they don't have NVR switches.
Not all folks are sensible enough to unplug/disconnect an extractor from the supply whilst clearing a build up of shavings from the impeller. Let's face it one of the first things most owners do is remove the finger guard from the extractor inlet to reduce the blockage potential.

I don't think the NVR switch would be considered an adequate means of isolation where maintenance was being carried out on the machine.

It certainly isn't, but would you bet on a DIY hobby woodworker not deciding to give his equipment a clean out whilst the power was out and not bothering to disconnect it from the supplies.

Latest posts

Back