Lugging free wood around

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sickasapike

Established Member
Reaction score
Disaster turned to triumph this morning, poured last of milk into cup for crucial first coffee, was like yoghurt - aaargh - so I dressed in a hurry and slithered to the shop for some, on the way found some guys loading 2 sheets of clean OSB from a resto refurb onto a rubbish lorry (one had a small cutout in a corner but... why throw it away ???!? .... anyway...), they were happy for me to take them - perfect for backing the pallet wall I'm doing but meant I found myself 200m from home with 2 huge great slabs of timber, and a bit windy to leave one lying around, so lugged them both as one.

I'd wasn't even wearing the coat with my 'pallet gloves' in the pockets so a bit of a nightmare lugging them home but got here in the end in several spurts (crossing the road was fun !!), but coffee was extra satisfying !!

The point is though, does anyone have any tips or ideas for a little rope/something mechanism to make that sort of thing easier ?

Usually I have a pair of old leather gloves in my pocket, I often find orphaned bits of timber or a lonely pallet when out and about but was thinking is there some rig I can make from light rope, a lolly stick and three paperclips... or the like to aid in carrying large sheets by hand, but small/foldable enough to sit in the bottom of a rucksack.

I was thinking just 2 circles of rope, with some of it tripled/quadrupled over and bound together for handles, I could hook the ends over the bottom corners which'd make the weight easier to bear and not so hard on the fingers but it'd not be very stable up top - there must be a cleverer way.

Would have to be rope if it's to fit into a rucksack but there are sheet carriers available. When I was building I just made up a wooden one to carry 8x4 plasterboard and OSB sheets.

Does make it a lot easier. I'll look to see if I can find a link so you know what I mean.

Bob

Edit: A couple of these might fit in a bag though. What I made was similar to the Roughneck version.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-pl ... GwodJk4OHw
https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/produ ... gIB7PD_BwE
https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/hand-tools/ ... ndle-(pair)/p/STN5859111X?utm_campaign=pla-Hand+Tools+-+&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping-pla&utm_keyword=STN5859111X&istCompanyId=6aa6787b-063e-4414-802d-129f235df603&istItemId=aqrxmatqx&istBid=tztx&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8KHV2LbZ1wIVqrDtCh1auAF2EAQYBSABEgKHJ_D_BwE
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Roughneck-Goril ... lsrc=aw.ds

Are you young and fit enough to get around on a skateboard? They look perfect for shifting big sheets and suchlike.

Alternatively, you can get quite a lot on one pedal of a bike, then push it along, or rested on the saddle and handlebars. It's what I used to do!

I would recommend a bicycle. Have shift loads of stuff balanced on a bike. Was stopped by the local rozzers one evening. I had an outboard motor, 6 year old daughter, pair of oars and a large grub bag. All on the bike Whilst riding up the road.

Fitzroy":3dinwlrm said:
https://lifehacker.com/carry-a-sheet-of-plywood-by-yourself-with-a-loop-of-rop-1642395529

F.

That's neat. And you can alter the length of the rope to fit your arm length and height.

Wow, loads of replies - is everyone else lolled in front of the tv watching grand prix practice too ? :)

I should have googled first but it's good to chat - liked the wooden carrier but looked painful on the fingers, the rope one is even simpler than what I was thinking, and better as one piece, I'll make one up to carry them round the back, I have a bit of leather belt cut-off to make a comfy handle and put it in my rucksack.

The ideal rig would avoid having to lift the weight, a U-shaped bit of wood with a castor on the bottom and maybe a bit of grippy karamat foam on the inside might work - oh, or a featherboard or wedge type thing that holds pieces of different thicknesses in....

2 of them with rope and handle between, the ropes go up the side the human isn't on, and over the top, the human holds the ropes down with one hand, keeping the wood in place and the castors pulled tight... hopefully.. and pushes/pulls the whole thing along with the other hand.

Hmm, I have some 50kg castors, might have a little project to do between grand prix broadcasts today !

Thanks all :)

Or something like this; no rope, the cylinder is a screw which holds the wood in place, the screw could be screwed all the way to not be spiky for transport, I have a multitool in the bag it'd be in anyway.

Two of those could work, and a single one would make it a lot easier than none - perhaps too bulky to carry on the off-chance though.

Attachments

• SheetScoot.png
    SheetScoot.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,113
Andrewf":vtor585b said:
I would recommend a bicycle. Have shift loads of stuff balanced on a bike. Was stopped by the local rozzers one evening. I had an outboard motor, 6 year old daughter, pair of oars and a large grub bag. All on the bike Whilst riding up the road.
Ah yes, a bike pedal would work well, as you say, people carry all sorts on bikes, not to mention the snack bars-on-scooters in Asia complete with gas cylinder, fridge and glass display unit.

Years ago I had a seat post mounting shatter when cycling with a big backpack full of heavy shopping, so the seat detached leaving the post with an inhospitable-looking end on it - thank heaven for the sturdy thigh muscles of youth or I'd probably still have the same expression on my face.

The Thank You button is inadequate -- AndrewF's and sickasspike's Bicycle stories made me laugh - I cannot add to the other board carrying ideas, but this thread is a classic!

+1 for skateboards - I have used one to move lots of sheet goods, including very heavy SIP panels. Everytime I use it I think 'I really must cut off that little raised tail bit to make balancing easier'.

thanks for the top tip on the bike pedal too - with hindsight I can think of half a dozen occassions where that would have been a huge help, if only I'd thought of it :)

When i was window fitting, we had a big skateboard in the back of the van. It was great for moving large and heavy double glazed units and windows/doors about. providing there was an even surface of course. Not much use on a muddy building site.

How about buying her indoors her own rucksack and trendy leather gloves so she can accompany you on a nice stroll past the odd skip etc.... woodland view maybe? lol
Nearest I have got to this was taking a 26" colour TV (gert big old style from the 70's) on the back of my Honda CBX1000 (the one with the gert big wide engine) bike using my trusty buggee hooks and a net that was free in MCN......all went well until I forgot there was a roundabout on my way home and as i leaned left the TV went right! ooooooooooppppsss amazing the amount of glass from a 26" mint condition ex rental (yes people used to rent TV's many years ago) 5pm and rush hour traffic didn't like waiting while i retrieved what was left of my TV.....think that was the day I realised 1, I am a total village silly person. 2, I have high blood pressure and 3, I don't even like watching TV lol

sickasapike":1lgc8dr6 said:
Or something like this; no rope, the cylinder is a screw which holds the wood in place, the screw could be screwed all the way to not be spiky for transport, I have a multitool in the bag it'd be in anyway.

Two of those could work, and a single one would make it a lot easier than none - perhaps too bulky to carry on the off-chance though.

How about using the old style clip / buckle on roller skate https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... Skates.jpg

Back