Veritas router plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Student

Established Member
Reaction score
As part of upgrading my hand tools, I splashed out and bought a Veritas large router plane. I very much like it and the results I get from it. However, one thing bugs me. Unlike the Lee-Neilson router plane, the blade on the Veritas is removable so that it may be sharpened with the help of a jig which Veritas supply. The blade is attached to the stem by a small screw undone with an allen key. I find that, having sharpened the blade and re-fitted it, when I use the plane the screw works loose irrespective of how hard I try to lock it down. Do others have this problem?

I haven't had that problem with the veritas cutters (sorry I can't be more helpful as in maybe offering a solution!)

I have a few, and none have come loose.

The question is why does yours do so? Are you tightening it enough (probably a silly question)? Is there a burr in the thread or the recess that prevents it tightening. More likely, the screw may be a tad too long and it is bottoming out?

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have the tiny Veritas one. On mine the locking collar is reversible: in other words the screw can bite on the shaft of the cutter, or on the support. The cutter being a "special" steel is pretty hard, so I find it grips much better facing the support post.

The design of the big one may be very different, but I thought I'd mention it in case.

I have a similar problem to yours with a small powered router. In that case it's a brass plug pushing on one of the steel bars supporting the plunge base. It is very difficult to get it to stay at one depth, the only compesation being that if it slips it usually lifts the cutter out of the cut, so not always a disaster.

Yes it is (well I've got both the POF 500 & 600). I have do extra little slugs to drop in, but with as-designed it either slips when you don't want it to or jams when you plunge it. I've two routers and three bases and they all do it!

That said they are a jolly handy little things. I got the 600 from eBay for a song, and I'm really pleased because it's varispeed (and hardly used by the previous owner). I used the 500 in a home made router table for several years, and it didn't complain. I also have the 8mm collet, but no cutters so far. I get the feeling those would work really well.

Sorry - thread hijack, albeit unintended!

E.

make sure the blade is locked down properly to the grooves in the bottom of the shaft, otherwise, it shouldn't really be coming loose like that.

Back