nu-tool wood turning lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pongobear

Reaction score
hi guys I'm new to this wood turning lathe and have a bit of a quandary I bought a nutool lathe for silly money ...well basically got it free with the chisels I bought and I need a chuck for it ...this is where I get confused , not hard normally lol I measured the spindle and it comes up as 19mm on vernier gauge but I can count 8 threads on it and it doesn't match with any advice ive read online any advice please
regards john

hi i did convert it t imperial and it comes out at 3/4 but thread count dousnt seem right
john

It's probably got about half an inch of metal with a thread cut on it. Hold a ruler alongside, count how many whole threads there are in half an inch, multiply by two and you get the "threads per inch" or "tpi".
I agree that it is likely to be 16 tpi.

pongobear":19ids8ox said:
hi i did convert it t imperial and it comes out at 3/4 but thread count doesn't seem right
john

Yes 3/4" = 19.05 mm

You say you 'counted 8 threads' but you don't say over what distance. If there were 8 crests in 1/2" (12.7mm) then that would be 3/4 x 16 as suggested by loftyhermes and is a 'Standard'.

Just googled “nu tool lathe spindle” and The Toolpost & Peter Child both suggest it is 3/4” x 16 tpi.
Have a look at the sites as the quote a model number.

Make sure you are counting whole threads - one crest, one valley.

This one hopefully

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,967
Can you post a picture of the turning tools, because they look suspiciously like cheap nasty ones. I hope I'm wrong but if they are cheapies then they are likely to put you off turning through sheer frustration.

K

Ordered nut so that should help me narrow it down....as for chisels not sure if cheap or expensive but I been using em with my mini lathe and they cut well .....or better than the cheap nasties supplied with mini lathe I'll see if I can upload

Couple of pics to help if poss

Attachments

• s-l400 (3).jpg
    s-l400 (3).jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 777
  • s-l400 (2).jpg
    s-l400 (2).jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 777
They don't look like some of the cr@p that I have seen, fortunately, and if they cut well then that's fine. I have read comments about some which won't keep a decent edge and will bend or break easily. Trying to work with tools like that is so disheartening. Not trying to criticize, I just thought it worth mentioning in case you were getting grief from your tools but might have thought it was your technique at fault.

Also, if your nut fits, then that could be the basis of a home made faceplate.

K

Thanks for the advice guys I did think about making a faceplate with nut ....luckily I have a mug welder

Back