GT Hollower 9mm cutter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pops92

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Has anyone used the tool above supplied by ukwoodcraftandcarbidechisels. Would like to know users thoughts on this tool especially, plus the others in his range. Any knowledge on these would be appreciated.
Thank you.

All I can add is that I've bought carbide cutting tips from his eBay shop and the service and response to questions was spot on.

Yes the response and service is good. And the carbide tips look good I am waiting for a length of 12mm bright steel square bar to come so I can make the Detail cutter and the Square cutter tools.

Ah, you mean Glenn Teagle.
Yes I have a set of his tools. I use them mainly to get through the bark at the start of hollowing a natural edge bowl. The problem is that you just don't know what is hiding in the bark & it saves the gouge for the nicer finishing cuts.

I want to make a potpourri and as I have no hollowing tool. As some seem expensive I am looking for advice on which one to purchase or make.
This will be my first attempt at hollowing other than a straight bowl.

That's why I am asking as I have not done hollowing at all apart from a standard bowl. I don't know the pros and cons of either. So any guidance is great as these are not cheap to buy.

You should have mentioned when you visited, that you were planning to buy these tips. I have loads! :roll:

Slight hijack:
Has anyone re sharpened these or are they disposable like they are when used for metal working.

lurker":3i924vwd said:
You should have mentioned when you visited, that you were planning to buy these tips. I have loads! :roll:
Slight hijack:
Has anyone re sharpened these or are they disposable like they are when used for metal working.
I use various carbide tips of this type for metal work and don't consider them 'disposable'. In a commercial environment they are of course disposable since sharpening - even by just licking the top - will change the profile, so it is more efficient (and cheaper) to simply replace with new.

You do need at least a 'Green' wheel to sharpen them though, but I now use a diamond wheel. If you just 'lick' the top you will retain the basic shape but you could also 're-shape' it by grinding the side(s).

For those that I am using from Glenn Teagle you only need to lap them on a fine diamond card. There is a good vid on YouTube showing this being done.

Back