Fix Guy's block plane adjustment knob

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigitalM

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sharpening a bunch of things for my father-in-law, one of which is a guy's block plane. It has sentimental value to him, but is almost unusable as the knob needs to be replaced or repaired. I looked on ebay and couldn't see any replacements for sale (no surprise).

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 13.49.24.jpg

This isn't the one (see pic), but the adjustment wheel/knob is the same. It's broken at each of the four "spokes" created by the circular holes, and is now just the inner part of the wheel. The outer, broken part is long gone.

Any ideas for the easiest way to make this more useable? I'm not after a total restoration, it's a user plane with family history for him, not a museum piece.

Does anyone know if any stanley parts might be a straight swap?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 13.49.24.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 13.49.24.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 986
This is to be a usable tool yes? The simplest fix I can think of is to epoxy the stub into/onto a wood or plywood disk.

I think buying a replacement block plane and having the old one be just a decorative object which retains its sentimental value is the better idea though. A replacement block plane with an adjustable mouth would be an order of magnitude more useful.

To be honest, I think he enjoys being frugal. I could buy one and whip the old knob out (erm, stop laughing) but it seems wasteful to just similarly disable another plane.

Will think around the plywood disk idea a little.

Just thought about a dome headed bolt, but I'm unsure exactly how to estable what size the thread/diameter is. Oh, I've got a thread guage in a tap/die set, that will give me the thread count.

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 15.08.33.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 15.08.33.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 15.08.33.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 961
I'll just google the thing about how to establish bolt thread/diameter - it's the thing about if it's to the inner or outer part of the thread, and this probably being imperial, and what whitworth is, meh! Minefield!

I have one of those Guys planes after my dad. He bought it when he first got married, around 1930. Mine is blue though. I still use it.

K

DM Bear with me here.... (hammer)
First plane I bought but mine has a pressed wheel.

eKzlCMl.jpg

WEbEvh9.jpg

KTLWmvv.jpg

I get 18 G 5/16" on my wee thread tool. I think that's a whitworth thread count???? If I understand it that makes it 18 tpi. G apparently standing for Gang in German same as TPI according to this forum. http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/ ... p?th=57757

Converting 5/16 to metric gives you 15.24 mm. :D
http://www.baconsdozen.co.uk/tools/conv ... charts.htm

Wait....
https://mdmetric.com/tech/thddat8.htm

Annnd. Now I'm lost.
I wish I had a better background in technical thinkinks.
I'd be tempted to make a new wheel from brass, (got a hole saw?) tap a suitable hole , epoxy a bolt into your fancypants hand made bling wheel and use that, under tension I'm guessing that would work... Can anyone with experience comment if it would actually work? You could even file a basic knurl on the brass. Booya! Depends on how much you like your Father in Law. :wink

Edit: Took my POET's Day hat off and went down the shed and mucked about and as luck would have it found what I think is a brass m6 bolt that seems to fit it fairly well. Not perfect... My m6 tap will also screw into the handle. Might take some playing about with the length to get it just long enough to tighten the handle up. But it might work. (maaaaaybeeee. :? ) Bit of scrap brass, a bolt, bit of epoxy. That's pretty frugal. 8)
Chris

Well for replacement purposes...

... the bolt is exactly 1/4" across the "crests", and the thread seems to be Whitworth 55deg 20G 1/4" - whatever the hell that is.

IMG-4635.JPG

Attachments

• IMG-4635.JPG
    IMG-4635.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 927
Update: BM, FIL is an awesome dude - want to fix his plane - it's a bit craptacular by minty Record 017 type standards but I think buying him another wouldn't mean as much to him as sharpening and fixing his old'un.

Ha ha, no worries mate, mine is a lot newer so could be a completely different size thread anyway.
If the plane works well and has value to your FIL then it's already as valuable as an 'heirloom' price tool in my mind.
All the best
Chris

DTR":fllutlyl said:
Sounds like a 1/4 BSW.

What diameter is the wheel part?

Wheel part completely missing, you can see the actual remnant in the photo I posted a few posts ago. Either a wheel, or I'm wondering about a dome headed nut (so you can at least get a little spanner on it) with threaded shaft in it might work.

Bm101":3c8e7aeh said:
1.5" on my one Dave

Oh, I see on yours it's not domed, it's just an unthreaded rod at the other side, for want of a better description.

Doesn't look that hard to make, although buying the raw brass + postage costs not likely to be as cheap as mcgyvering up some parts bin improvisation. Still, you only learn by doing stuffs, right? Might be worth it just for the experience.

Can anyone tell me what the "G" stands for on the thread ID thingy?

I looked on wikipedia and it uses the same terminology without explaining what the G is for. Embarrassing noob Q I know.

DigitalM":3lwkr9yg said:
Can anyone tell me what the "G" stands for on the thread ID thingy?

I looked on wikipedia and it uses the same terminology without explaining what the G is for. Embarrassing noob Q I know.

Ignore that, it's "gang" = TPI (German!).

Anyone with a metal lathe should be able to turn that old stud remains down and fit/hard solder/epoxy a suitable wheel on it. That would be my fix.

I'm pretty sure I have a similar plane which already has just a bolt replacing the handwheel, so it could be a common fault.

An easy option would be to hacksaw and file the remnant from yours so it fits a spanner.
You could still glue the hex or square into a plywood, metal or plastic disc if you wanted it to be usable and convenient.

I've messed about a bit with metalwork, not enough to give advice by a long shot of course but if you have a grinder or a couple of files..... Problem is that no one is wanting to sell you your size. There's no market. You either buy over size which will cost online or if it was me I'd find a place locally and just turn up and ask. They will probably look at you a bit funny and you might have to pop into a couple of places but I'd give it a go. Scrapyard, local engineering firm on industrial estate etc.
Another option is to maybe look at 40 x 4 mm ground 01 stock. at 500 mm lengths etc It's not the cheapest option but you might consider the 'waste' as another little project. Then make a posh blade for the plane or more importantly yourself a nice little marking knife and you've eliminated any waste. :wink:

RUOpyog.jpg

Bm101":1ms37cym said:
I've messed about a bit with metalwork, not enough to give advice by a long shot of course but if you have a grinder or a couple of files..... Problem is that no one is wanting to sell you your size. There's no market. You either buy over size which will cost online or if it was me I'd find a place locally and just turn up and ask. They will probably look at you a bit funny and you might have to pop into a couple of places but I'd give it a go. Scrapyard, local engineering firm on industrial estate etc.
Another option is to maybe look at 40 x 4 mm ground 01 stock. at 500 mm lengths etc It's not the cheapest option but you might consider the 'waste' as another little project. Then make a posh blade for the plane or more importantly yourself a nice little marking knife and you've eliminated any waste. :wink:

RUOpyog.jpg

Right, I'm thinking along these lines.

Latest posts

Back