lifting semi-solid

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cult

Established Member
Reaction score
Not really a work working question but ive been recently asked am i able to lift a semi-solid oak floor and move it to another room. My first thoughts are it cant be done because all the T&G are glued with evostick wood glue but thought id ask here to see if it can be done.

Are you talking about an engineered floor, with a thickish layer of oak over softwood backing? Laid as a floating floor?
I reckon a lot will depend on the scale of the rooms, but I imagine it might be possible to

a) lift the skirtings to expose the ends of the boards.
b) cut down along some of the glued up joints with a tracksaw, to cut through the whole thickness, just into the underlay (I'm assuming by this stage you will know the exact thickness) so that you get some manageable* chunks. How wide these are will depend on the width of the boards, how long they are and how much you and your helpers can manhandle safely.
c) groove the freshly cut edges and use loose tongues to re-glue them in the new location.

But overall, it's going to depend on the balance between doing or paying for a lot more labour, compared to buying new flooring, so it's not an easy question for anyone else to answer.

*How big is a manageable chunk? If you try and lift too much and the other joints break in a non-salvageable way, that was too big!

Back