Combination squares with 400mm- 600mm rules

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine is needing a combination square with a 600mm rule. Not sure he wants to spend Starret money but happy to pay more than a cheapy. What do you recommend? 400mm might do but 300mm is too short

I am sure this has been discussed quite recently but cant make the search function work.

Thanks

ComfortablyNumb":2le50ro9 said:
Bahco do a decent 400 mm combination square. Had mine a few years and it's still accurate

I did see them but presumed they must be tat at that price. On the other hand I should have known Bahco wouldn't put there name to rubbish. Thanks

Supposedly lots of fakes out there, out of true, unfinished sharp edges and chinesium fittings instead of brass.

phil.p":2pa909t9 said:
Why shouldn't Bahco put their name to rubbish? Stanley, Marples, B&D etc. do. :D

Just that all the Bahco tools I have had are good. But only had sockets, wrenches and bow saws to date.

Once you have one decent Square/45deg's surely you can make anything you buy square/45Deg its what I have done for years, as long as what you buy is not flexible at the joints? Or just use 3:4:5 to make it square if you don't have a reference piece already, this is carpentry not precision engineering after all.

Mike

MikeJhn":kn0eowj0 said:
Once you have one decent Square/45deg's surely you can make anything you buy square/45Deg its what I have done for years, as long as what you buy is not flexible at the joints? Or just use 3:4:5 to make it square if you don't have a reference piece already, this is carpentry not precision engineering after all.

Mike

You dont know what my friend wants it for :wink:

No I don't, but this is a woodworking forum so the not unreasonable assumption that it was for Woodworking.

Common Pythagorean triples

3: 4 :5
5: 12 :13
8: 15 :17
7: 24 :25
9: 40 :41

Mike

It is sort of woodwork but the adjustable aspect for the rule is a crucial part of what he wants it for. Just a square wont really do.

You guys might come up with a better way to do the job he wants if I can work out how to explain what is doing. Might need to do a quick doodle on sketchup to explain

In the mean time found this and suspect one of those rules is a 600mm even though they are both labelled 300mm https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/measuri ... XD3303850K

Beau":34nk631w said:
You guys might come up with a better way to do the job he wants if I can work out how to explain what is doing. Might need to do a quick doodle on sketchup to explain

Thanks all.

Think he has one ordered now but what he is doing is plotting out the mould of a kayak. The long term aim is to build a wooden version of a glass fibre one he has. He is setting up a 4x2 box aly length over the centre line of the kayak and then measuring down to plot the curve of the hull in width and length. Think it will be fiddly old job but going to watch with interest.

Back