strange mortise gauge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
I have a rather nice walnut and brass gauge that I guess is quite old.
There is no maker's name.

However, the pins look like they have been ground flat or (more likely) have never been points.
It looks like its for a specific purpose but I cant think what.

It's pretty common to see pins that have been adapted by the user to be a bit knife shaped rather than round. I've posted pictures of some old ones, Racers shapes his new ones this way.
Different shapes can give a better line on different timbers.

Hi Andy,

No, these have no cutting edge at all.
Just squared off "rods" that are the same diameter as you would expect pins to be made of.

They are so symmetrical that I cant help but think its intentional, but as I say, I cant understand why.
and its such a high class tool I find it hard to believe someone would modify it for a one off job

Oh I see. That is strange. Maybe someone fitted new pins but never got round to sharpening them?

Maybe somebody tried them out on a bit of stone?
Or praps pull them out and see if the other ends are pointed?

lurker":lxzo0ns7 said:
Hi Andy,

No, these have no cutting edge at all.
Just squared off "rods" that are the same diameter as you would expect pins to be made of.

They are so symmetrical that I cant help but think its intentional, but as I say, I cant understand why.
and its such a high class tool I find it hard to believe someone would modify it for a one off job
I wonder if this is an unfinished repair - new pins added, but not yet sharpened. Odd though - you'd have thought sharpening before fitting would have been easier.

BugBear

Sounds feasible BB
Was wondering if in the olden days (it must be 80+ years old) you could buy them un sharpened so as to file in your preferred cutting edge.

I don't need yet another mortise gauge so will leave it as it is, and bring it out at "gatherings" as a talking point.

I'd be surprised if anybody ever felt the need to replace points - they last forever. Though it might appeal to a modern tooly looking to do something pointless for a few hours!

I have replaced a few in mortice gauges that have been sharpened to nothing, they are about 1/8" long so don't last forever.

Pete

Racers":1bx06gq5 said:
I have replaced a few in mortice gauges that have been sharpened to nothing, they are about 1/8" long so don't last forever.

Pete
Yes - Ultimatums in particular are often found with the barest stubs. Well worth repairing.

In a plain marking gauge, course, the pin can be simply tapped further out from the back as it wears, or trivially replaced.

BugBear

phil.p":3m8n1euk said:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-BRITISH-MADE-GRAMOPHONE-NEEDLES-LOUD-TONE-PACKS-OF-100/222701392737?hash=item33da099361:g:88EAAOSw6EhUO7Uj
:lol:
Small, broken (and the small ones break often) HSS twist drills can also be ground to make points with an almost infinite life.

BugBear

Racers":1ebu6vzf said:

Pete
I've never seen them that short - I'd expect them to get dragged out of the stem! I've got several old mortice gauges - the newest (in use about 30 years) has pins sticking out about 5/16". the oldest they are worn to about 1/8" (but still sharp) so in both cases they must have started life at 3/8" minimum in the sliding rail brass and longer in the fixed position, and last forever.
I think the answer is to not sharpen them. In normal use they are trailed through the wood at an angle, which would actually sharpen them a touch rather than blunting them. I don't know how you manage to blunt them, I don't think I've ever sharpened one

lurker":2xnpg4ca said:
I have a rather nice walnut and brass gauge that I guess is quite old.
There is no maker's name.

However, the pins look like they have been ground flat or (more likely) have never been points.
It looks like its for a specific purpose but I cant think what.

Could it be some form of scratchstock......stringing maybe :D

phil.p":1j0kj65l said:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-BRITISH-MADE-GRAMOPHONE-NEEDLES-LOUD-TONE-PACKS-OF-100/222701392737?hash=item33da099361:g:88EAAOSw6EhUO7Uj

1817 - Ye Olde Gramophone Shoppe... ''I wish to purchase one of your finest gramophone needles''

2017 - eBay... ''FFS, do you only have them in bags of 100?''

Back