How would you make this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks a nice joint. Would you scribe an arc on each face instead of the regular straight line that marks the bottom of tails/ pins and remove as usual, maybe with a fret saw?
edit - oh, hang on, the pins also need to be shaped to an arc don't they. I guess the answer is I wouldn't even try. :|

I'm guessing it's a mitred joint with the facade of a dovetail joint. the outer pin or tail is a normal dovetail joint with a sloped root, all others have been undercut to a mitre.

definitely form over function and not really worth the amount of effort it takes to make, I do wonder if it can be done on a CNC though.

I think I can see the remains of a scribe line bottom left ? I took it at face value, with hand tools I guess use dividers to scribe the base line for the tails/pins, and with it clamped to something to give you somewhere to place the centre, scribe the same arc on the end grain. Cut the pins/tails full thickness as normal, then pare away the back of the pins/tails to the scribe line on the end grain, maybe using a shallow gouge (possible use for pattern maker's gouges ?).

Not as tricky as some of the weird Japanese dovetails, but as already mentioned, it is only for showing off. Not quite sure where to use it, for drawers it would mean using excessively thick stock to create the visual impact.

Sheffield Tony":g4pbe22w said:
it is only for showing off.
IMHO that's true for dovetails too really, from various sources it seems that the strength [when glued] is often overestimated.

monkeybiter":ge5ar26k said:
Sheffield Tony":ge5ar26k said:
it is only for showing off.
IMHO that's true for dovetails too really, from various sources it seems that the strength [when glued] is often overestimated.

Oooh, not so sure about this. I can't think of a stronger way of joining boards at corners. It often works well after the glue has failed.

well thats a bit better than I thought, it at least still has some of it's strength. so form and some function, which is nice.
as my dovetails at the moment are complete gash, I can't really talk. lol

Sheffield Tony":3jjmjxd3 said:
I guess use dividers to scribe the base line for the tails/pins, and with it clamped to something to give you somewhere to place the centre, scribe the same arc on the end grain. Cut the pins/tails full thickness as normal, then pare away the back of the pins/tails to the scribe line on the end grain, maybe using a shallow gouge (possible use for pattern maker's gouges ?).

I'd probably just draw a curve/circle on a bit of plastic and cut it out.
Use that template to scribe the arc, maybe marking the tail shoulders or whatever makes it easiest to transfer to the other board.
But I'd cut/gouge out the arcs first, before then cutting the pins and tails. I get the impression there'd be more supporting wood and keeping the arc would be easier that way...?

Or just use power tools, like the guys in Naz's link.

Back