Motor Arbor Thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stu-cam

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Just registered for help if you can. I am a luthier/furniture maker based in East Kilbride and I have a very old EMCO STAR multi-purpose machine. It is fine for small things but If I need larger pieces machined I can do that at the school where I work as a Technical Technician.

The EMCO has a central motor that drives the Circular Saw, Band saw, faceplate sander, lathe etc and I also got a small planer/Thicknesser with it. This is a heavy unit on its own and the only way to power it is to couple it with the saw motor on the lathe bed poles. This isnt practical for me as I want to keep the lathe bed free for turning drilling and morticing so I intend to power the planer on a separate stand using the motor and mount from an old benchtop circular saw, Power Craft PBS 205/1000N. The motor is still in its mounting frame which is ideal as I can use the height adjustment to align it perfectly to the shaft of the planer, so here is my problem.

The Emco motor couples to the planer using a strange cross coupler with a rubber cross enclosed between identical couplers on the motor and planer shaft. The cross coupler from the motor is held onto an adapter (by a grub screw) which has a 14mm tread to secure it to the motor shaft. So all I have to do to couple the planer to the Power Craft motor is make a new adapter for the cross coupler with a thread to fit the Power Craft Motor.

Try as I might I cannot find any information on-line to identify the thread on the power Craft motor arbour, can anyone help.......

A thread gauge like that is very good, but another approach is to take a decent digital photo of the thread alongside a nice clear rule (marked in inches if this is likely to be an old non-metric thread) look at it on a nice big monitor and work out how many threads per inch you have. Then look up the tpi and the diameter in online thread tables.

Back