Dovetail jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruskie7

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I am after advice on a decent but relatively cheap dovetail making jig.

I have about £140 to spend.

I want to do half blind dove tails, Through dovetails and finger/box joints of various sizes.

I need it to be relatively fool proof as I’m not an experienced wood worker. I saw a cmt dovetail jig going second hand but missed out on that. Spam thinking Axminster axcaliber one or the trend cm300. But I will try others but I do want it to be solidly built.

Thanks

There is a Leigh D4R Pro on e-bay at the moment, but its near £400.00 starting price, the Leigh is the best dovetail jig you can buy, even the instructions are impressive.

Mike

I have a Trend jig that I bought before we had kids and never got around to use it once they arrived, it was still unpackaged until recently, it is still unused. It's a DJ300, I was thinking of selling it when I got around to it, not sure if it does all the joints you want without accessories but its seems the bits are mostly still available and the manual is on-line. Let me know if your interested.

I have that trend Jig. It does do all of those joints (and well), but you need different comb plates for each, and sometimes specific cutters. Out of the box it comes with the comb plate for half blind dovetails.

I've since purchased the through dovetail comb and the two cutters needed.

Whilst not quite as good as the Leigh jigs with their flexible layout fingers, the trend is a very good next step down

Try and find a trend dc400
They are bomb proof construction and will do all the joints you have mentioned
But only available secondhand
You should get one within your budget

flh801978":duhvh6x7 said:
Try and find a trend dc400
They are bomb proof construction and will do all the joints you have mentioned
But only available secondhand
You should get one within your budget

There's one one on the bay now, item 401324057401, ex-demo, looks like it has a knob missing, possibly other bits and bobs, probably cutters, but if it will do all those joints without having to buy different templates then it sounds good.

Yes that ones too much
you need cutters guide bush and perhaps other stuff
you should get a complete one for about £100
but its a serious piece of kit if you can get away with 400 mm max width

I don't think you will, even if they are offered at that price, there will be nothing else with it, when you add the guide bush and different cutter bits and then the different combs to achieve what you want you will be way out of your price point, I think you need to re-asses you goals or your budget.

Mike

MikeJhn":2wwonpsp said:
I don't think you will, even if they are offered at that price, there will be nothing else with it, when you add the guide bush and different cutter bits and then the different combs to achieve what you want you will be way out of your price point, I think you need to re-asses you goals or your budget.

Mike

I second that. New cutters and guide bushes alone could easily exceed the budget. The cheap jigs are very restricted in what they can do and the more expensive such as Trend need extra templates for some jobs. Unfortunately still over budget but not as painful as some, the Porter-Cable 4216 gets good reviews and comes with all the templates and some cutters, other versions with fewer templates are cheaper and they can be added later. http://www.portercable.com/Products/Pro ... ctID=18952

May be able to find a second hand one from the US. I was going to buy a new 4216 but found a used Leigh Superjig 24 at the right price.

Graham.

Dc400. I’ve seen a few recently go for £25. Bare unit. £50 complete but used and £150 for a new one boxed and complete
But there’s usually only one on at a time

flh801978":34b1l9ir said:
Dc400. I’ve seen a few recently go for £25. Bare unit. £50 complete but used and £150 for a new one boxed and complete
But there’s usually only one on at a time

Was this on eBay? Or elsewhere? It may become a project in itself to get all the bits

Another option might be a SH Woodrat. Not sure how much they go for second hand but more than capable of making all the joints you list.

I have been offered a cmt300 with various guide plates I think I might go for that unless you guys wouldn’t recommend it.

Had a quick look at the CMT300 and I have a few observations:
How does the jig compensate for different width boards that are not a multiple of the comb spacing?
Does the one you have been offered come with the box joint jig? according to its write up you need a different comb.
What size guide bush and which router bits have you been offered with this?
Will you be satisfied with being restricted to 300mm board widths?
If the answer to all the above is positive then go ahead, you never know you could be quite happy with it. (for a while :twisted: )

Mike

Sounds good, let us all know how you get on, It will be helpful to others who have the same dilemma later.

Mike

Back