Electric saws.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickyhb

Established Member
Reaction score
Could anyone put me straight on the type of electric saw I'd use the most?

Portable circular saw. Same but fixed with a mitre board and the ability to cut at angles, a band saw? I only have room for one to be honest. ( Understand I can box the circular saw)

I'm looking at general woodworking jobs, rather than anything specific. Someone suggested a jig saw set up on a movable base you can buy. Would this cut as well and most size wood. I'll never make a staircase, but smaller items like a cold frame for the Misses etc.

Thanks all.

Richard.

Bandsaw can cut deeper wood than a table saw. Its also more versatile. But it is NOT a precision cutting machine unless you spend a lof time on it.
Table saw is very precise, but normally cant cut anything deeper than 3".

Jig saw on a box? dont bother, its the very worst of all worlds.

I think a better decision would be a bandsaw or chopsaw.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

A circular saw is quite versatile in that it's the best (excluding large expensive table saws) tool for cutting large sheets and can also be inverted and mounted in a bench. In a bench, with a couple of home made sleds (lots of youtube videos about those) it can fairly accurately cut 90 & 45 degrees and the blade will tilt for compound cuts. If OTOH you're going to be cutting mainly long lengths say for studding or contiboard, then a sliding chop saw is the best bet. Band saws are excellent for detail cutting and ripping/resawing but very restrictive on the size of material they will handle. I have table saw, band saw, circular saw, jig saw and chop saw. If I had to get rid of any, the chop saw would be first to go, followed by the band saw. Your decision needs to be based on what you think you may aspire to making.

I'd suggest that a track saw is the most versatile actually.

With it you're able to make:

Rip cuts
Cross cuts
Mitred cuts
Trench cuts (bit fiddly for this)

You're not limited by the size of wood (other than it not handling very small bits well), and can cut to a max depth of 55 - 75mm (depending on which saw you get).

If you are looking for a machine, then a bandsaw. It cuts thick and thin stuff, curves, single and compound angles. It will not cut long stuff to length due to the throat, but cut timber a little over length first with a handsaw and then trim to length.
Combine it with a small cordless circular saw to do sheet work [I use a 10.8v makita and straight edge] and most bases are covered.

Colin

Back