Files for scroll saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caveman

Established Member
Reaction score
Firstly, hi everybody. Just joined the forum as I am new to the art of woodwork, sort of, having built many yachts and planes over my many years!
I am having a go at building a wooden clock, fancied the challenge, so have bought a scroll saw, which I love but am finding it quite hard to cut out the very small cogs with the saw blades.
I have looked on line and have found some Olson Saw SC42101 pin end Scroll Saw Files which would fit my saw but they do not seem to be available in the UK.
Can anybody help please? Where can I get similar 5" file blades with pin ends in the UK?

Thanks for that, I did see it but then saw the estimated delivery - end of next month!!
Might have to buy that if I can't find one here in the UK.
Surely somebody else must use these???

I suspect your problem with getting detailed gears might be because of the size of the pinned blades. Try some pinless blade adapters.

Also, you could try this...

3fa3c3b3b200ff7dc19a2c6756424d2a--sanding-tips-sanding-wood.jpg

That's a great idea NazNomad but I can't get the adapters supplied with my saw to work, they just break the non pin ended blades as I tighten the two securing hex bolts!

Attachments

• IMG_3274.jpg
    IMG_3274.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 1,252
  • IMG_3275.jpg
    IMG_3275.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 1,252
NazNomad":18xehnoo said:
What saw is it?

KATSU - the blade attachment system is exactly the same as most others I suspect...........

Attachments

• IMG_3276.jpg
    IMG_3276.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,250
  • IMG_3277.jpg
    IMG_3277.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,250
What blades are you using?

If the ones in the photos are the ones you are using they look rather industrial if you don't mind me saying

I would recommend trying some Pegas pinned blades, they are much finer and you should get much better results
(Axminster do them)

I quickly learned that its far better to achieve a fine finish when cutting than spend much time and effort sanding afterwards

I don't use the scroll saw files you mention, I find clamping the item cut to the end of a table (usually the scroll saw table with a spring clamp) leaving an overhang and use standard sandpaper cut into long strips from a 1/4" up to as wide as I need it, work very well

Just pass the thin strip of sandpaper through any cut hole in the workpiece and saw the sandpaper from above and below

But the better quality blades will I think make all the difference

Firstly, take those hex bolts out of the clamps and sand the ends, make sure they are nice and flat with no burrs or bumps, then see if they still break the blade.

Also, clean the ends of the blades to remove any factory residue. You shouldn't need to crank down hard enough on the blade to break it.

NazNomad":2lug1lr2 said:
I suspect your problem with getting detailed gears might be because of the size of the pinned blades. Try some pinless blade adapters.
Also, you could try this...
3fa3c3b3b200ff7dc19a2c6756424d2a--sanding-tips-sanding-wood.jpg

Just waiting for a glue gun now!! :)

Attachments

• IMG_3285.jpg
    IMG_3285.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 1,165
Dab of superglue and I'm in business!! Thanks NazNomad!

Attachments

• IMG_3286.jpg
    IMG_3286.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,156
NazNomad":h7ms6j7f said:
Cool, let us know how they work.

This green stuff is only a paper backed sander so can't tighten it too much but works just fine. I'll get some cloth backed sanding strip and it will probably improve the performance.

I'll keep you folks posted!

One thing I didn't mention in my previous post

That is that I find nail files a great way to sand in tight corners, they are thin and relatively stiff so you can apply some pressure where sanding with strips may not

Then I had a thought, I still have plenty of spent pinned blades used on my first saw a cheapy Titan, they are still intact, just blunt

So I thought why not use a spent blade and combine it with a nail file

So hot glue gunned a couple tonight which appear to look okay, so will try them in the morning and see how they go

The Titan has a different blade holder to many (including yours) so cannot as easily use a wire hanger, so if it works with an old pinned blade all the better

Attachments

• Clip112.jpg
    Clip112.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 416
whatknot":2lsfmsit said:
One thing I didn't mention in my previous post
That is that I find nail files a great way to sand in tight corners, they are thin and relatively stiff so you can apply some pressure where sanding with strips may not
Then I had a thought, I still have plenty of spent pinned blades used on my first saw a cheapy Titan, they are still intact, just blunt
So I thought why not use a spent blade and combine it with a nail file
So hot glue gunned a couple tonight which appear to look okay, so will try them in the morning and see how they go
The Titan has a different blade holder to many (including yours) so cannot as easily use a wire hanger, so if it works with an old pinned blade all the better
Great idea again! I've got two attachment systems on the saw, one for pinned blades and a hanger, somewhere to hook a wire or something over. I'm also experimenting with different ides and will post any successful ones!

I presume that you mean the emery boards used for nail shaping, not an actual metal nail file!

Just waiting for my hot glue gun to arrive!

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 380
Indeed I did

Emery board is the very description ;-)

I used it on a project completed tonight and it worked very well I am pleased to say

I also wondered if double sided tape might do the same as the glue gun ?

Also if emery boards are not available a piece of sandpaper stuck on card would probably do as well

caveman":39evzati said:
I presume that you mean the emery boards used for nail shaping, not an actual metal nail file!

Just waiting for my hot glue gun to arrive!

Back