O2 customer service...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, I know it's late and I'm tired, but.

I hate my current phone with a vengeance. I bought it unintentionally 2 years ago, after inadvertently walking into a Carphone Warehouse in Bristol and being sweet-talked by a young lady with a gazillion tattoos, multi-coloured hair and more body piercings than my kitchen sieve. She was actually very helpful, except for the fact that she sold me something that doesn't actually work very well.

But I digress.

I recently got a letter from said CW telling me my contract was nearly up and I could upgrade. Hooray! But I didn't like what they were offering me, price-wise, so I met up with Mr G.

It soon transpired that I could get the same deal from Tesco substantially cheaper. I G'd the phone and all the reviews said, "Why on earth would you want to buy that phone when you could buy this phone for the same price?", or words to that effect. So I settled on a phone and a deal, I just need a PAC code from O2, to transfer to TescoM, which buys network space from 02 anyway.

This is a transcript, near enough, of the conversation.

Thank you for calling O2. Are you calling about this number?
Yes.
What is the reason for your call?
I want a PAC code.
Do you want a PAC code?
Yes.
What is the answer to your Security Question?
Er, What's my security question?
I'm sorry, that's not right. What is the answer to your security question?
How the Bleep do I know? What Bleep, Bleeping, security question? Mum's maiden name, colour of my first car, best mate at school, what do you want?
I'm sorry, that's not right. What is the answer to your security question?
Tell me what the %*()(*&^%$%^& security question is and I'll answer it ,you %^&*(*&$% moron!
I'm sorry, you have failed the security test and will be locked out for 30 minutes. Please wait while we connect you to an operator.
That's what I wanted in the first place, eejit!
I'm sorry, all our lines are closed please call back when we can be a***d to answer the phones.

I'm going to lie down now.

You will get a better deal if you move to a sim only deal with an unlocked sim and buy a phone yourself on a credit card with a 0% deal.

I dumped O2 two years ago too. They don’t like giving out PAC codes as they know you are looking to change service providers. Stick to your guns and try again later.

You PAC code is only valid for a couple of weeks so bear this in mind.

Vodafone made a big hoo har about giving my my pac code when I left them with an outstanding debt (there own fault) a quick google and I found an offcom regulation saying your pac code cant be with held from you for any reason. I quoted this to them and had the pac code in 30 seconds!!!

adidat

Strange?

I've been with O2 for many years although on a business contract but I compare deals and ring every time my contract is due and always get a deal. I just ask for the retention team saying I'm leaving and then argue with them, I always ask for a PAC code and always get it, they have no right to refuse or evade and legally have to comply. I rarely do the deal there and then knowing when I ring back in a couple of days they will sharpen their pencil knowing I'm about to go elsewhere.

I've never had a major problem with their service though always deal direct rather than the likes of carphone warehouse.

Bob

joys of a machine doing the job of a human. sorry Steve.

but yes, tescos mobile is good, go in to store and do it all there, saves you using your phone to ring O2. :)

Been with Tesco mobile (sim only) for years and have always found their customer service to be excellent.

Plus if you have anyone else in the family who you can add to your 'contract' you both get family perks i.e. extra mins or data etc

I rang Customer Services again today, same thing happened but at least this time I did get put through to a Human. She was very nice, spoke normal English and laughed when I told her about my conversation with her robotic replacement.

"We do get it mentioned..."

However she did tell me what the magic question was and so all was well. I would never have guessed what it was in a million years.

Without trying to give me a hard sell, she asked me why I wanted to leave, I switched my phone from Speakerphone to Normal and she could tell exactly why, it's rubbish. "Can I see if we can match the deal?"

It soon became clear that she couldn't come close, so I got my PAC code. Actually I'm a bit prem, as my contract runs to Nov 29th, not Oct 29th as I originally thought, but at least I know it's not going to be a problem.

Steve, if you do go in person to a tesco to get it done, it might be worth checking about when you can start, as it's only 6 weeks between now and the renewal, they might decide to buy out the rest of the remaining contract with CW just to get your business.

I have a friend that has been offered that several times over the years, and it's worth asking.

If you on a contract. you should also be able to request a PAC via live chat on the MyO2 website - although it very often says that live chat is busy.

Just beware if you are in a mobile-challenged signal area. Many of the mobile providers (including O2) offer a service that lets you make and take calls/txts via the internet. Last time I looked, the Tesco offering (using O2) could not do this.

RogerS":2zudn8ua said:
Just beware if you are in a mobile-challenged signal area. Many of the mobile providers (including O2) offer a service that lets you make and take calls/txts via the internet. Last time I looked, the Tesco offering (using O2) could not do this.

Just an update to that Roger. I got a text message from O2 a few days ago that their TuGo service is being discontinued at the end of November.

Lons":2709bqv0 said:
RogerS":2709bqv0 said:

Just an update to that Roger. I got a text message from O2 a few days ago that their TuGo service is being discontinued at the end of November.

Interesting. So that cuts down one potential provider for me in the future.

RogerS":ol9db8v1 said:
Lons":ol9db8v1 said:
RogerS":ol9db8v1 said:

Interesting. So that cuts down one potential provider for me in the future.

They gave me a booster foc after I kicked up a fuss last year when their service was down due to mast upgrade cockups, I know one other guy who got one when he said he would not renew his contract due to poor reception, they normally charge a lot for them.
Mine boosts from 1 bar to 5 around home but obviously no help if you're away

Roger
I have the Skype app on my phone. Not the video thing but just a way to dial calls from any where that I have a wifi signal. There is a minimum preload credit of £10 but the cost are so low it lasts for ages.

RogerS":o5fc2nq6 said:
geoffshep":o5fc2nq6 said:
But with a compatible handset you can use o2 wifi calling for those times when there is no signal.

That's what is being discontinued as I understand it

Exactly that Roger. I checked after posting and it's confirmed on the internet, service ends 30th November.

The booster box isn't the total answer either as it's range is limited and allows you to register only a limited number of mobiles to use it, we have 4 listed but in our case where previously we had virtually no signal indoors and the garden we now have full service.
Interestingly, we had a slightly better signal before they converted the masts from 3g to 4g last year.

Myfordman":3va6rmqx said:
Roger
I have the Skype app on my phone. Not the video thing but just a way to dial calls from any where that I have a wifi signal. There is a minimum preload credit of £10 but the cost are so low it lasts for ages.

Can people ring you using your mobile number using this method ? Send texts ?

Back