Face frame hinges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryS.

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the middle of my first face framed cabinet and am now getting to the door builds. Looks like I need specific hinges, basically to handle an inset door.

I've been on a few websites and forums and the more I read the more confused I get! Has anyone on here used hinges for a face framed cabinet with20mm rails and styles ?

Thanks

Paul

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

If you mean the Blum type concealed hinges I always find this company's website quite helpful, most of the hinges listed have a link to the Blum technical manual.

http://www.trade-hinges.co.uk

This could be hinge you are looking for

http://www.trade-hinges.co.uk/soft-clos ... et-3-p.asp

It can sound confusing with different size mounting plates for different offsets but once you get your head round it it's quite straightforward.

Doug

Installed those very hinges just recently, but was very disappointed that the mounting dimensions on Blum's web site did not work for my installation, do a mock up of the door and side panel to find what works with you configuration.

Mike

Just be aware of the 70mm minimum depth of face-frame (‘stationary panel’ in the drawing) with those hinges - if that’s too wide aesthetically, you may be better off returning the face-frame into the carcass and mounting regular cranked hinges on the return.

HTH P

As Peter says you need the 70mm flat on the back of face frame, it may seem like you could get away with less but you do need the extra space to get your finger in to unclip the hinges.

When I use those hinges I buy the hinge and mounting plate separate, this mounting plate is easier for adjustment and takes normal screws.

http://www.trade-hinges.co.uk/die-cast- ... -232-p.asp

Doug

petermillard":3t0ynv9y said:
Just be aware of the 70mm minimum depth of face-frame (‘stationary panel’ in the drawing) with those hinges - if that’s too wide aesthetically, you may be better off returning the face-frame into the carcass and mounting regular cranked hinges on the return.

HTH P
Ah, I've only got 55mm :-(, so sounds like I'm going to need to do a return which is a hit depressing as it's already fitted in a bathroom!

Ah well thanks for the advice it has saved me a few more hours on the Internet. I'd never heard of face frames needing to be designed at a certain width for hinges , do people normally use a simple butt hinge ?

Thanks again

Yes a pair of brass butt hinges look very good,I have used them many times,and they last well,they will also let you open the door through 180 degrees.Little more tricky to fit but for me that is what I would use in your situation.

Thanks Kevin, I think I'll try that first

Latest posts

Back