Advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pops92

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to leave this turning with the bark as it is now do I need to put CA glue on it to prevent the bark coming off.
As you will have guessed I am new to wood turning so any advice welcome. :?:

Attachments

• 20171001_131121-429x494.jpg
    20171001_131121-429x494.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 839
One of the things to look out for when using CA glue to hold bark on is it can stain the surrounding wood, so you need to either apply it before the last few cuts or apply a sealer then the CA glue this will help prevent staining. The latter may effect how you finish the piece as things like oil based finishes need to be applied to bare wood

If the wood was dry and there was no indication of loose bark whilst turning then it should stay attached, bark that is likely to let go becomes pretty obvious when preparing the blank or as soon as it is tooled. You seem to have got away with it with pretty severe turning disturbance so I would expect it to stay put.

You really need to asses bark security on a regular basis when turning and secure as needed, that 'just another cut' before you check is usually the one where the bark flies off.

Green wood is another matter as you never know relative shrinkage rates and might be best to err on the cautious side and secure.

Thanks to both of you for your input. Just after I placed this on the forum JIM alias Lurker happened to pop in and sorted me out. Plus we solved a few more of my problems.
Thanks again guys.

Back