new to forum

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommo 62

Established Member
Reaction score
Just like to say hello to all members. I have just joined group tonight.
I Will be looking through tips for lathe turning after I just acquired a myford mystro that work was throwing out as they are not allowed to use it any more for polishing metal shafts. only thing missing is the tool rest. looking on ebay as I type.
cheers Tommo 8)

you might find it a cheaper option to look at the sorby modular toolrests. you just need to find the stem diameter

welcome to the forum, by the way.

Don't think I quite made myself clear the bed is missing that the tool rest fits into as well.

tommo

tommo 62":3h41mp7w said:
Don't think I quite made myself clear the bed is missing that the tool rest fits into as well.

tommo
That's called a banjo.

ah, that is more of an issue. Is it definitely not at work somewhere? I would be surprised if it was thrown out, even if it was not used.

Well I have been informed the banjo and other related parts were thrown in the skip 2 weeks ago. Bummer. I even went to scrap metal merchants we use no joy there. But on the upside I found the 3 jaw chuck and a set of external jaws.
Managed to get a banjo with rest off ebay awaiting its delivery. May even get one made have a good guy here I use.

Now my thoughts have turned to which tools to bye first. I have read on here its best to bye them single not in a set and add to as I progress.

(homer) tommo

Is there a how to post pic section on site somewhere ?

Good news on the banjo.

a word of warning- 3 jaw chucks are for metal, but are not suitable for woodturning.

tommo 62":21xip22i said:
Is there a how to post pic section on site somewhere ?

Have you looked at the Announcements section at the top of every forum section?

Yes I know 3 jaw chuck is for metal but it will hold a drive centre to practice spindle making and the like. I will get a

Patriot Lathe Chuck later on, Practice first. also got hold of 2 face plates to fit mystro spindle,7 and 9 inch dia.

8) tommo

Your 3 jaw chuck will be great for holding accessories such as arbor mounted wire wheels, grindstone etc ( take precautions because you have no guard) , also a home made pin Chuck, perhaps a screw chuck although that might need some fiddling about.

K

As a happy (well fairly happy!) Mystro owner, just ask if you need any measurements for lathe parts. But I won't give the OP the satisfaction of admitting how much was paid for mine, secondhand.
No 1 recommendation, if OP can find a 3-phase motor to fit, get one plus an inverter. Speed change on the Mystro involves significant risk of skinned knuckles :(.

Hello dick thanks for the offer. I think I will get a banjo made but could do with a few good pics of what it looks like close up. The later ones were modified I'm led to believe. they changed the bush below banjo as well. Some thing to do with getting clogged up with wood chippings.

cheersTommo

marcros":2qzkda0j said:
a word of warning- 3 jaw chucks are for metal, but are not suitable for woodturning.

As a complete newbie who has just bought a Warco WM180 mainly for metal work but also maybe for a bit of hardwood turning, could I ask why this is?

Is it because the wood held in a three-jaw tends to work loose?

Is a four-jaw similarly a no-no for wood?

Martin.

Metal 3 jaw chucks will pinch the wood at three points, digging into the wood and regardless of how tight you do it up the wood is not secure. Metal being much harder to compress can be gripped securely this way.

If you look at woodturning chuck jaws in more detail, you can see they grip the wood all the way round.

An example of some wood chuck jaws:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/100mm-chuck-jaws-with-accessory-mounting-jaws-ax946930

Ah - I understand.

Thanks.

Knowing this has stopped me possibly making a nasty mistake!

Martin.

Back