64mm shop vac?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have the Titan shop vac, which is working well for dust, but is always getting clogged when I have chippings from hand tool work. I noticed that in the States, they have a shop vac which has a 2.5 inch hose, as opposed to the Titan which is only 32mm. Do we have anything similar over here? I can't seem to find anything. I know we have the 100mm extractors, but that is a bit on the large side.

I noticed that Record do a 2.5inch hose (CVA250-10-102 ) which I think may fit into the hole on the Titan. But that is just a hose, so no tools :(

I bloody hate sweeping up! .. hate it! .. I'd rather be pregnant.

up until last week, I had been using a karcher wet and dry vac with 30-32mm hose. I had made some heath-robinson contraptions for connecting this to the planer, bandsaw (no success) and table saw. Still had loads of dust flying about. every time i planed up anything, the shavings clogged the pipe resulting in me spending time unblocking the pipe and usually picking the shavings up by hand.

So i decided to get a record dx1000 - which was on offer at Yandles for £119. It is much more powerful, much quieter and does the sweeping up. The downside is it is making me want to pipe out the garage workshop with 100mm ducting and gates!!

I planed quite a few pine boards over the last couple of days to remove cupping etc, and there were loads of shavings. Took about 1min to clean the lot up with the dx1000. Used it with the planer jointer and no mess. Just used it with the bandsaw and about a 60% improvement on sawdust removal there.

Its not that much bigger than the Karcher, just made a simple dolly for it to roll around the workshop and all was well.

How / where is it clogging? I have a Titan vac and it doesn't seem to struggle with anything as long as it actually fits in the hose. I do have it hooked up to a cyclone though, hence me asking where you're experiencing the clogging.

However, I have noticed that the 32mm hose is actually attached via a larger port in the vac (I suspect a 2.5 inch port) and I've been meaning to see how the vac performs when attached to a 2.5 inch hose.

MattRoberts":2gqh0j6n said:
How / where is it clogging? I have a Titan vac and it doesn't seem to struggle with anything as long as it actually fits in the hose. I do have it hooked up to a cyclone though, hence me asking where you're experiencing the clogging.

It clogs in the tools. So either the extension tubes, or usually in the right angle bit that attaches on to the hose. Obviously I can take off the tools and just use the hose, but I find the tools much easier so I don't have to bend down.

MattRoberts":2gqh0j6n said:
However, I have noticed that the 32mm hose is actually attached via a larger port in the vac (I suspect a 2.5 inch port) and I've been meaning to see how the vac performs when attached to a 2.5 inch hose.

Yeah - that was my thinking above. But then you have the lack of tools. I suppose you could easily knock up a home made tool from PVC though.

Dalboy":1y002d7e said:
Do you mean something like THIS and add THIS to it

This kind of thing

5534162-5983200-hose-and-cord-HighRes.jpg

MattRoberts":8nxvgxz3 said:
Odd. Do you use a bag in the vac? Have you checked the hose to see if there is something permanently wedged?

I don't use a bag. The hose is fine, suction is great. It's just that the chippings Im trying to pickup are too big, hence me wanting a bigger setup, but not as big as 100mm.

Got it. Well the only thing I'd suggest then is to try a piece of pipe the size of the input port (2 or 2.5 inches I believe) to test that it still has good suction at that diameter, and if so, grab a hose & attachments kit from eBay at that diameter

Latest posts

Back