Garden gate plans?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolyHive

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have joined the site as after spending come very frustrating hours trawling various search engines for some plans have come to realise that they are not so freely available as it seems on the surface and no I don't want to spend $67 thank you.

I have two gates to build and do have a router and a table saw but that's about it in the way of power tools.

Can some kind person point me in the direction I need to go please? One gate needs to be about 4ft wide and the same high and the other same width but 6ft high.

Many thanks in advance,

PH

Welcome aboard. We're a helpful bunch but we're not mindreaders so I think you need to be a bit more specific.
"Gates" is about as vague as "doors" or "chairs" - there's no limit to the possible designs and what looks right for a large detached Victorian property would look silly on a 30s semi, for example.

So why not find upload pictures of the sort of thing you'd like, or take your own pictures of something in your neighborhood. There's a sticky post explaining how to share pictures at the top of each subforum.

I'm sure that someone will then explain how the construction works in your preferred style. There are some general themes in making wooden gates, so that rainwater doesn't get trapped in the joints and cause rot. These will make more sense when looking at something specific.

A bit about your skills would help - are you ok with making mortice and tenon joints, for example.

A gate doesn't have to be complicated nor does it require a lot of tools.
Our local traditional type of gates were made from round wood straigh from the forest using only an axe and a knife and a drawknife and a gouge. In later times a bow saw and a hammer as well.

Thanks for the answers. I am looking for a pattern she will approve. :)

Mortice and tenon in largish timber is I think out of my range.

Will update as per first line.

PH

Back