White vs Ruby vs CBN wheels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcmguy

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm still thinking of moving from white wheels to cbn but someone suggested ruby would be better for chisels.

I guess this might be to do with grit grades rather than density or 'frangibility' (is that a cake?) of material ...but don't really know (and the suggestion wasn't one I could follow up).

Anybody know any good reasons (apart from cash/cash flow) why white or ruby might be a better choice than cbn?

Thanks

it is easy to spend your money rather than my own, but have you also considered the sorry pro edge? It is a bit more than a wide cbn wheel but offers you a quick opportunity to change grits. Certainly, if you were looking at a cbn for each end of the grinder, the cost between that and the pro edge would be similar.

Yes...considered Sorby ...but I can't be bothered with jigs ...I just sharpen freehand (standard 'traditional' grind on spindle and bowl gouges with only approx angles) ..but that's another subsection of the whole sharpening debate ...possibly been touched on before from time to time.!

I guess I was hoping to limit debate in this thread to grinding wheels types :) ... but as I still hone chisels using local stone found on the ground and strop them with an oiled chamois leather I'm happy to join in with wider debate if others wish ;)

I went from white to CBn and love them. I do use jigs but have simple 'set blocks' now for very speedy use as wheel always,same size and flat which is big bonus for me. Also cbn wheels allow the grinder to run super smooth as I had a record 8" unit before and not sure if it was my skill or an inherent quality of the machine but I never got it to run as smooth as I'd like.

I've not used ruby wheels but believe they are more friable than white wheels so wear may be an issue if you turn a lot or swap between needed a flat wheel and sharpening gouges.

I have left the corse stone on my grinder as a white wheel until it wears as it is just for initial shaping really but will probably replace with a course cbn when the time comes.

As you'll infer, I like mine and I'd go cbn again given the choice over.

Simon

(For info, I use mine on a slow speed 6" crusen machine with tormek jigs)

CBNs have the bonus of the diameter never changing, so if you're using expensive large gouges they would potentially save a load of steel - even the best of wheels wear down and good ones probably more than most. Depends how much you do whether you can justify the cost.

Over 12 years ago I fitted a Blue ceramic wheel to my budget grinder and it is still going strong with little peripheral wear and never needs dressing (the grits shatter to provide new sharp facets) so never blunt or glaze over. Only difference in use is the need to use the lightest of touches as it cuts so effectively.

Not used a red or pink ceramic wheel but can only assume performance would be similar.

I have a grinder with one CBN and one O'Donnell ruby wheel. The ruby wheel is faster and cooler cutting than the white wheels. It does need dressing occasionally but that's more to clean the surface than to flatten it. The CBN wheel is also fast/cool cutting but is a finer grit than the ruby. I would be happy with the edge produced by either wheel for my turning tools.

I invested in a CBN wheel from Axy a few months ago and now have it on the left of my ancient second hand grinder and it is a worth while change. As Simon said (I could write a song about that? :? ) I too have swopped it with a white wheel with another on the right. When that wears I may well put another CBN wheel on there.

Something else I noticed was the smoother running, plus my grinder used to take several minutes to stop when switched off, now though it takes even longer with the extra momentum. I also have a second grinder with a rough grey wheel on it and a slow, wet wheel that I only ever use if I need to be really brutish.

Thanks all.

Seems like, if I've understood correctly, after buying a cbn wheel nobody has subsequently bought a white/blue/ruby wheel (but no merit in throwing perfectly ok wheels away, of course)

dcmguy":3hx9ymta said:
....(but no merit in throwing perfectly ok wheels away, of course)

Further to that I would add that if you end up with a selection grit types such as basic grey aluminium oxide, green silicone carbide, white, ceramic, pro-edge belts, diamonds etc. you end up using the whole variety for specific tools or jobs, no one solution being the ultimate in ease of use or performance.

The fact that trying to find room for all the options that become a 'must have' is another problem in itself but can be justified but the simple expedient of not having to adjust the jigs or rests on the various wheels etc.

dcmguy":1iobfskn said:
Thanks all.

Seems like, if I've understood correctly, after buying a cbn wheel nobody has subsequently bought a white/blue/ruby wheel (but no merit in throwing perfectly ok wheels away, of course)

Most people wouldn't wear out a CBN wheel for many years but yes, I bought the ruby wheel after the CBN wheel because I wanted to replace the other white wheel on my grinder and didn't fancy running to the expense of two CBN wheels!

Just give up one pint a night and after a month you have enough fer yer CBN jobbie init :mrgreen:

I'm glad that I don't need to do that :? Still, I'll be catching up on me lack of English beer next week when we will be in Malmesbury!! 8) 8) The French are very good at wine, but c r a p at beer, bacon and breakfast really! My favourite 3Bs 8)

Errm, thank you ..lol!

I tried some Pelforth Brune once (or maybe even twice..!) ...didnt seem too bad ...though I think the Belgians may do a little better than the French at beer!

Maybe Father Christmas will bring me a cbn wheel!

Latest posts

Back