Antique shop finds...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tasky

Established Member
Reaction score
Ended up in a local 'antiques' shop over the weekend, mainly for the Mrs to browse the tat that is more like a charity shop than actual antiques (didn't know DVDs were that old)... but of course, I had to stop in the tool corner.

A lot of items, but not much in usable nick, I was sorry to find. Several old try-squares, mortice markers and a good number of Record planes, but alas rusted to heck. Cheap if you're into restoration, I expect, but it looks like a lot of work for what could end up being a waste of time.

Still walked away with a try square and a wooden mallet for £8, though.

Might check out some other places this weekend!

I bought my two best planes [i.e. my only good planes] from an antiques and collectables show, IIRC a Record 5 1/2 and a No.7, both in unrusted ready to use condition. Approx £33 each. Also a couple of moulding planes for £3 each.
This is a cupboard in an antiques shop in Lincoln.
IMG_20140314_123317.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140314_123317.jpg
    IMG_20140314_123317.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,126
monkeybiter":2gif5v0y said:
Oh my goodness =P~ What are the prices like?

ED65":1qhv5kxl said:
monkeybiter":1qhv5kxl said:
Oh my goodness =P~ What are the prices like?
That was a couple of years ago, didn't ask about the planes but his prices were a bit variable from the norm [up and down] so there could easily have been at least a few bargains in there.

Tasky":1co6bs5z said:
Several old try-squares, mortice markers and a good number of Record planes, but alas rusted to heck. Cheap if you're into restoration, I expect, but it looks like a lot of work for what could end up being a waste of time.
FWIW a lot of the work can be put in by the rust remover, leaving little actual labour for the plucky restorer to need to do. If you're fully into the hands-off approach a molasses soak can be set up, any rusty gubbins you buy plonked inside and forgotten about for a month or two and when you finally fish them out the rust (any amount of it) will have been converted into a black sludge that can be scrubbed off with a stiff brush under a running tap. It's about as effortless as rust removing gets.

The main problem with buying planes in that sort of situation isn't that they might be right-offs it's what you pay for them, given that many a car boot in the UK can net a plane or two in better condition but for a few quid or less. Still, if a hand plane of any size can be had for a fiver or thereabouts and it turns out not to be salvageable as a complete unit, that's not a bad price for the parts which can be put into the spares bin to help rescue a future sad case in need of this or that missing or broken piece.

ED65":142rmdh5 said:
FWIW a lot of the work can be put in by the rust remover, leaving little actual labour for the plucky restorer to need to do.
I was thinking more that once you remove that rust, there'd be nothing left but the wooden bits!!

ED65":142rmdh5 said:
The main problem with buying planes in that sort of situation isn't that they might be right-offs it's what you pay for them
Yeah, I wasn't going to pay £35+ for something like that!

Back