ML8 restoration, stuck pulley

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oly

Reaction score
I have just been given an old myford ml8 lathe which is quite rusty.

I have dismantled it and removed the rust every where i can except the central shaft, this is rusty on both end so i wish to remove this to soak in vinegar and clean up.

I have removed the two grub screws on the pulley holding it to the shaft, i can move the shaft but the pulley it self will not rotate separate to the shaft.

I have tried spraying with wd40 and using a hair dryer and fridge to adjust the temperature to try and expand and contract the shaft and try knocking it with a lump hammer but its still stuck, any suggestions.

Hoping to get it of so i can soak and clean with a wire brush also the belt probably needs replacing if any one knows where i can get one ?

Large image of the shaft
https://pasteboard.co/GJL48YQ.jpg

GJL48YQ-1024.jpg

Attachments

• GJL48YQ-1024.jpg
    GJL48YQ-1024.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,283
Try throwing away the WD40 and try a penetrating oil instead. Soak it overnight.

If you don't have penetrating oil you could try Diesel if you have some.

Possibly a silly question, but youe say you have removed two grub screws are these from the same hole or two at right angles to each other. If the first have you checked to see if there is a second hole also with another two screws. and if the second is that one from each hole if so check to see if there is a second grub screw in both.

I will check for a second grub screw, don't have diesel or penetrating oil, but i will pick some up and try cheers for the suggestion not up on different types of oil.

oly":2ieanwvc said:
... not up on different types of oil.

WD = Water Displacement. it will also displace and degrade any existing lubricant where applied, so don't use it as a lubricant either. :)

Myford metalworking lathes typically have two grubscrews in each hole. The idea being the same as putting two nuts on a bolt, the second locking the first in place. May be worth looking down were the grubscrews came out from.

WD 40 becomes hygroscopic after approx three months from application; in other words it absorbs water rather than repelling. Not good if you want to 'oil' tools before putting them away for a while.

Tony Comber

I swear by plusgas, it's helped me numerous times removing nuts and bolts that have never been removed before from muddy old land rovers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

still jammed i actually got some WD40 Fast Release Penetrant on this because it was available in a local diy store and sold as penetrating oil for stuck or rusted parts.

WD40-Fast-Release-Penetrant

Ordered some plus gas as a few people have recommended this, definitely not any more grub screws i can see through to the shaft.

I have an old Coronet "Major" that was given to me and I believe that it was the forerunner to the ML8 (correct me if I'm wrong anyone) I will be stripping it down to sell the component pieces if that's any use to you OP. It would cost me more to resurrect it and buy missing parts than I paid for my new lathe although it's probably a better lathe than I purchased.

Bob Graham":2azc904p said:
I have an old Coronet "Major" that was given to me and I believe that it was the forerunner to the ML8 (correct me if I'm wrong anyone) .
Nope.
Coronet was a company in it's own right, based at Derby, before being bought out by Record Tools.
Myford were a separate company best known for their metal lathes.
:)

Latest posts

Back