Recycled Teak Railway Sleepers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John15

Established Member
Reaction score
At a small camp in the Okavango Delta in Botswana recently I was amazed to be eating at a table made from old teak railway sleepers. The table top was 2" thick so I guess the sleepers were 7 or 8" thick originally, and cut into three.
There is a lot of smallish secondary growth teak growing there, but pretty well all the primary stuff has been harvested.

John
okavango teak table 003.JPG

Attachments

• okavango teak table 003.JPG
    okavango teak table 003.JPG
    244.9 KB · Views: 194
I know of a nice stand of mature teak near Lake IteshiTeshi in Zambia. If the Chinese know about it too, it won't be there long.

phil.p":2mh1mwv1 said:
Years ago I saw some pictures of stunning furniture made by an Australian from reimported yellow jarrah railway sleepers from S. Africa.

Just recently picked up a catalogue from a high-end 'ecologically-minded' furniture store:
"Our reclaimed teak furniture is handcrafted by highly skilled artisans in Indonesia
[....]
Because of the rapid population increase and economic growth in Indonesia, substantial building work has been carried out across the country and the old-style Javanese wooden buildings have been modernised. There is now a seasoned supply of reclaimed teak which is perfect for furniture production."

Back