Air line fittings; is 1/4 BSP R or G?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bawdseymatt

Established Member
Reaction score
Trying to get the air tools sorted in the workshop and everything I've got currently quotes as being 1/4" BSP fit. I'm trying to order push fitting to thread adaptors at the moment and need to make a choice between R or G threads. BSP can be either so how do you find out which you should use??

I've looked at the compressor manual and it doesn't say. I've looked at online stores selling air tools and everything says 1/4" BSP.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Taper threads are "BSP R". Straight threads are "BSP G".

It's annoying as hell and I went through this recently and got caught out (only £3 but....). The only way to be absolutely certain is to contact the relevant manufacturers.

In all honesty, buy PCL stuff. Their technical support is superb if you've got an air tool that would be of a "known" brand.

It takes a bit of getting your head around, or at least it did for me, but I'm a bit thick. I went backwards and forwards with adapters for about a week.

I actually took my fittings to screwfix and said "find me stuff that connects to this", and tested the fitting in the shop!

Yes I've only bought air fittings from MachineMart and Screwfix before so this has never come up.
Only now I'm trying to run permanent air lines around using push fittings has it become a problem!

I think this might be order one of each and see what happens!!

Back