Dust Extraction Help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidJHolmes

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm after a bit of help/advice on dust extraction. The setup will be for dust extraction on my CNC Router and only for that sole purpose so I don't need to run it to multiple machines.

I've been using the "hold the vacuum at the tool" method which last for so long and I think stuff it and suck the mess up every now and again. Consequently the workshop becomes knee deep in dust, and I either have to keep cleaning the vac out or buy bags. The vac is a Fein Dustex 25, the old model. About 18months ago I bought a dust cyclone attached to a barrel (plastic food storage barrel) and used that which lasted 10secs as the barrel collapsed under the pressure. Managed to still fill what I could of the barrel and then chucked it. Went back to the old method.

Then last week I though I'd have a go at making a box from wood that could house a bag, use the cyclone attach to a dust shoe (my original plan). Had some offcuts of 25mm and 18mm MDF and constructed a box with a cage to hold the bag open so it's not sucked up through the cyclone. Tried it tonight after waiting for the silicone to cure and my god the wood creaks under the pressure. It works, its not bad (it's pretty terrible), and its noisy using the shop vac. So as I'm upgrading the CNC i thought I better get serious with the dust extraction system.

Youtube has a few videos of modified harbour freight units which look a lot like the Clarke models from Machine Mart. The reviews from MM state they're relatively quiet, which would be great as it has to go in the workshop where I'll be. Are these units any good? My only preferences at the moment are low noise, HEPA filter, small foot print as it needs to be in the shop, however it can use floor to ceiling in its footprint, and not need a small mortgage to afford.

Maybe butcher this https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cde7b-dust-extractor/ into something with a bigger cyclone and HEPA filter. Or is there something better to buy off the shelf complete?

Anyone made their own?

Thanks and sorry if the post is rambling!

The collapsing barrel issue is simply a case of creating a pressure release valve - there's a few tutorials out there on this, and I made a thread on it a while back. In addition, I also have a some half lapped cross brace inside my barrel.

However, it would only collapse if there was insufficient airflow through the system, or a blockage. Can you show pictures of your setup?

I gave in on the barrel when it collapsed. I have a wood box now that's coping well but I'd like to be able to leave it on all the time when the CNC is on so sound is my next mission to sort.

I'm guessing I'll need a pressure relief valve for any cyclone system?

DavidJHolmes":ybf6g8ho said:

Not if you want to use something like the Clark one you linked to - they work by moving large volumes of air with relatively low pressure drop compared to vacuums. For that reason adding a Hepa filter to such a machine is probably a non starter - that type of extractor doesn't fare at all well if you restrict the flow in any significant way, stepping down inlet diameter for example.
I would imagine your best bet would be to use something like a twin motor Camvac in conjunction with a well designed skirt around the cutting head. A brush type draught excluder on the lower edge of the skirt should contain the majority of dust within the airflow to extractor.

WellsWood":3jqk22fp said:
DavidJHolmes":3jqk22fp said:

Not if you want to use something like the Clark one you linked to - they work by moving large volumes of air with relatively low pressure drop compared to vacuums. For that reason adding a Hepa filter to such a machine is probably a non starter - that type of extractor doesn't fare at all well if you restrict the flow in any significant way, stepping down inlet diameter for example.
I would imagine your best bet would be to use something like a twin motor Camvac in conjunction with a well designed skirt around the cutting head. A brush type draught excluder on the lower edge of the skirt should contain the majority of dust within the airflow to extractor.

They look like good units. Do you have any experience with them? I would be interested to find out what the maximum run time would be. Can't seem to download the manual from record power.

Edit. Found it. 2 hr duty cycle.

Back