Oak insert in pine?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris152

Established Member
Reaction score
As I don't have a router to do an inlay band, I decided to try inserting a strip of oak into a jointed pine table top. I'm really happy with how it looks but wonder if I've made any obvious errors that'll become apparent in the long run.
_MG_6031.jpeg

To the left a section is painted white and a band is painted red, using rust-oleum furniture paint (needs no primer, apparently).
I plan to seal the whole thing with Osmo 3044 (Raw Untreated Oil), following advice in another thread.

Can this work/ last?!

Thanks

Attachments

• _MG_6031.jpeg
    _MG_6031.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 131
A bit hard to see what's what. Is the red line just painted across a sandwich of pine, oak, pine? Should be fine, but you may notice it's not perfectly flush after a season or two. Probably won't be noticeable. If the red is a piece laminated perpendicular to the others, then you will have some problems

Thanks Matt - yes, it's just a painted line across pine, oak, pine. It was the oak/ pine combo and the angle of the grain that made me wonder if I might be headed for trouble. C

Back