Straight Edge and Set up pieces

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would look for a steel straight edge. If you are using a marking knife its surprisingly easy to accidentally take a shaving of Aly.

Beau":2g8rhvb0 said:
I would look for a steel straight edge. If you are using a marking knife its surprisingly easy to accidentally take a shaving of Aly.

Any recommendations?

Go onto ebay and search there. Moore and Wright make a very good one and you can pick these up for as little as £30 instead of hundreds (as a mate did recently). I got my two straight edges from the Babcock disposal shop at Rosyth dockyard for twenty quid each. They were grade B's and were calibrated annually, and both came in a nice mahogany case. Bargain of the year and I was really pleased.

Mike

+1 for looking on eBay.

You are right that you don't usually need engineering precision for woodwork, but good ones are very useful for setting up and checking woodworking machines. And yes, steel is much more durable than aluminium. The latter is suitable for wallpaper hanging but ...

GeordieStew":22ca2j64 said:
Beau":22ca2j64 said:

Any recommendations?

No.

I Just have an old Rabone Chesterman one that's been and still is superb but dont think you can get them now. Sure there must still be new steel ones out there though.

A quick search shows Maun at the cheaper end and Veritas if you have deeper pockets.

Beau":2xito3fw said:
GeordieStew":2xito3fw said:
Beau":2xito3fw said:

Any recommendations?

No.

I Just have an old Rabone Chesterman one that's been and still is superb but dont think you can get them now. Sure there must still be new steel ones out there though.

A quick search shows Maun at the cheaper end and Veritas if you have deeper pockets.
Ended up visiting Axminster. They had a steel one in stock so picked that up.

May buy a longer one at a later date.

Thanks all

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hello,

It is Axminster's own branded one, you might not be too happy with it. Mine is a piece of garbage. I am currently using aluminium T track extrusion as a straight edge; it is more accurate than the Axi. It might be a QC issue and yours is OK but I'm not the only one who isn't impressed with the Axi straight edge.

I don't think Engineering standards are necessary for woodworking, but engineering standards ensures you get a straight edge that is worth a damn. For woodwork, it might be just as well to make a good wooden straight edge, if you can't stump up for a certified one. I would get Starrett.

Mike.

woodbrains":1l7nhw35 said:
Hello,

It is Axminster's own branded one, you might not be too happy with it. Mine is a piece of garbage. I am currently using aluminium T track extrusion as a straight edge; it is more accurate than the Axi. It might be a QC issue and yours is OK but I'm not the only one who isn't impressed with the Axi straight edge.

I don't think Engineering standards are necessary for woodworking, but engineering standards ensures you get a straight edge that is worth a damn. For woodwork, it might be just as well to make a good wooden straight edge, if you can't stump up for a certified one. I would get Starrett.

Mike.
It's the Veritas steel straight edge. I'll give it a look over tonight. Cheers for the heads up.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Straight edge isn't really a woodworkers tool. Most things are checked by eye, and if a long edge is necessary you plane one up - or use a length of mfc shelf.
But the short scale which comes with a combi square is very handy for checking flatness across a piece. If you rub it it leaves a mark on the high points. Also good if you are making knife cuts.
A builder level is good for setting up planer beds.
All that engineering quality expensive Veritas stuff is just gadgetry which nobody really needs.

Jacob":1mw5e7kq said:
Straight edge isn't really a woodworkers tool. Most things are checked by eye, and if a long edge is necessary you plane one up - or use a length of mfc shelf.
But the short scale which comes with a combi square is very handy for checking flatness across a piece. If you rub it it leaves a mark on the high points. Also good if you are making knife cuts.
A builder level is good for setting up planer beds.
All that engineering quality expensive Veritas stuff is just gadgetry which nobody really needs.

You may be able to muddle through with a level for setting planer tables but I doubt you can get it very accurate and without doubt way easier with a proper straight edge. I am not one for having every gadget going but I have always been of the view that marking out work and setting up machines requires a fair degree of precision if you want to make precise work. Enough inaccuracies creep into a piece without building them in due to poor marking out tools. Buy a good straight edge and look after it and it should last a career so not expensive in the long run.

Beau":3gcbaoan said:
You may be able to muddle through with a level for setting planer tables but I doubt you can get it very accurate and without doubt way easier with a proper straight edge .
Easiest with a good level mainly because its box section stands on edge whilst you fiddle about adjusting. A straight edge falls over.

Jacob":361sdn34 said:
Beau":361sdn34 said:
You may be able to muddle through with a level for setting planer tables but I doubt you can get it very accurate and without doubt way easier with a proper straight edge .
Easiest with a good level mainly because its box section stands on edge whilst you fiddle about adjusting. A straight edge falls over.

My Rabone straight edge will stand on it's 2.25 mm edge happily enough not that I use that edge. I use the thinner tapered edge and hold it in one hand hand while sighting as the finer the edge makes it easier to pick up errors and less risk of being influenced by saw dust.

I have the Veritas and a shorter Dakota, just as straight as the Veritas and a lot less expensive, think I got the Dakota from Rutlands.

Latest posts

Back