Thread adaptor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexf

Established Member
Reaction score
I am going to be working on EJCA Maskin TSL30 Lathes which I see from the data sheet has a 11/2inch spindle thread. All my chucks are 1" x 8 to suit my own lathe. Does anyone know where to get an adaptor for this

You don't by any chance have a VersaChuck, or old style Axy. Super Precision, it's very quick and easy to change the ISO back-plates on them.

( My Lathe is 1-1/2" X 6 and I have ISO back-plates to suit 1" and 1/4" that I can swap out if needed.)

No, I don't have a Versa Chuck. I have a Fox4000, An Axminster Clubman and a Robert Sorby which I can get an adaptor for but that will limit me to only that chuck.

Unfortunately this was a new school opened 5 years ago and they have had 5 of these sitting doing nothing since then. They were supplied with only the standard 4 prong drive, live centre and faceplate and no one thought to order chucks and of course the tool budget was spent a long time ago.

The TSL30 looks a nice lathe, looking forward to trying one.

Attachments

• ejca_tsl30.png
    ejca_tsl30.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 1,371
You don't mention the pitch of the 1 1/2 thread but if it is 8 tpi then Vicmarc do a 1 1/2 x 8 female to 1 x 8 male adaptor. Part no V0006

Bill

Sounds as though you would be best putting any funds for an adaptor towards a VersaChuck and the appropriate Back Plates {1-1/2 X 6 and 1 x 8 } allowing you to fit it on your lathe if required and giving you the option to get jaw carries to suit your existing jaws.

(I have a surplus back plate but unfortunately it's 1-1/4")

Chas

How do you rate the versachuck against its peers? It looks attractive on price and I like the fact that it can use anybodys jaws, but i have never used one.

Mark

Be careful - the guy who owns Toolpost is a **** to deal with if you have a problem. My friend has one, and he had problems with back plates. The first didn't fit properly (this was on a pristine ML8, so not the fault of the thread on the spindle) - this was said to be impossible but to send it back anyway. This he duly did (at his own expense) and it was replaced - with another faulty one, a different plate altogether. We decided as his father had a metal lathe that it was easier to clean up the machining than to send it back. My friend is a GP, so not stupid, and I was there when he was on the phone both times - the second time he was with me, his father and another friend both of whom are chartered engineers - and still the fault was denied despite his being told EXACTLY what the problem was.

he is the main reason that i only use toolpost if i have to. i found him rude on the last 2 dealings that i had with them.

I want to use the vicmarc jaws, and the other options for chucks are limited.

marcros":2e9x0j68 said:
Chas

How do you rate the versachuck against its peers? It looks attractive on price and I like the fact that it can use anybodys jaws, but i have never used one.

Mark

The one I have, (obtained second hand) is fine, not quite up to the build quality of the old Axy Super Precision Chuck but it gives them a fair run for their money.

Regarding Use of various makes of Jaws, remember you need to get the appropriate carriers to suit your existing kit.

All my other Chuck kit is Axy. so only need one set of appropriate carriers.

I have fitted 1"- 1-1/4" & 1-1/2" backplates to it and other chucks and never had any problems.

The ISO backplate is certainly a boon in this respect.

Regarding the Aladdin's cave of 'The Toolpost'. it's a source of stuff I can't conveniently get elsewhere.

Just a thought - does the school also have metalworking lathe and a colleague who knows how to drive one? Adapters are just very accurately turned and threaded objects, well within even my capacity!

Just a thought - does the school also have metalworking lathe and a colleague who knows how to drive one? Adapters are just very accurately turned and threaded objects, well within even my capacity!

That is one of my questions to ask the staff when I see them on Wednesday. As a stopgap I want to make several threaded glue chucks in hardwood so that I can use them. The faceplates supplied are 150mm dia so at the moment I am making glue chucks with a 50mm dia spigot to fit on smaller items.

dickm":28y6ft55 said:

I doubt that a Metal Lathe bought for school use will be able to cut a thread with a low a pitch as 6TPI, that requires a substantial gearing ratio and smaller lathes rarely go down this far.

No the school does not have the equipment to do this. Today I went to an Engineering Training Centre to ask them if they could do it. Unfortunately They also do not have the equipment for this size.
I have now written to the one remaining shipyard in the area to see if they can make me one. I have also asked EJCA in Sweden to give me a price for their chucks which are made for these lathes.

I make a lot of chuck adapters sold mainly online and via olivers woodturning
I have 1 1/2 6tpi blanks in stock but whitworth rather than unc...I've never seen a unc one before (60 degree rather than 55 degree thread angle)
These are female blanks to put a smaller chuck on so they mount with a bit of overhang..perhaps 3 inches

Back