George Naylor & Co sawmaker or retailer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t8hants

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been cleaning and learning to sharpen my modest collection of rusty saws, largely S&J with a couple of Tyzacks, I'm working up to the Disston, when I discovered an already dismantled and very rusty saw on the top of a cupboard, that hasn't been touched for years.
Now that I have cleaned it a bit, its a 26" @ 7ppi and the faint etching proclaims George Nayor & Co, warranted cast steel, something, presumably 'taper' ground.
I couldn't find anything 'goggling', so is my saw rare, old or just another common maker/retailer.
It has the male female saw screws, rather than the split nuts that my progressive toothed Robert Sorby rip cut has.

thanks for any info........Gareth

According to Simon Barley, George Naylor and Co were a significant manufacturer of all sorts of saws, from 1862 through to 1898, at various addresses.
He also notes that the name is common in Sheffield and has been seen on saws which seem to be (stylistically) from the 1920s or later, so could have been made by another company using the same name.

Thank-you for that, it has a very late Victorian feel to it and providing I don't mess it up with my attempt at sharpening for cross cut, I'm looking forward to using it.

Back