UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Claymore":1n0k0m3g said:
The saws pretty good but if I was to buy another I would shop around as the saw is terrible for dust that leaks out all over the place and the two 100mm extractor ports are rubbish, do all bandsaws throw the dust out round the edges of the twin doors? no rubber seals on mine.
Cheers
Brian

On my SIP a significant volume of air enters the lower cabinet via the loose fitting door rather than it leaking dust, (no seals) in fact I've been seriously thinking of encouraging a greater airflow from the column side into the cabinet to better entrap the dust that accumulates in there.

As your switch is in the column have you investigated how the dust is getting into it, are there oversize holes in the upper and lower cabinet where the door switch wires pass through?

I have the same basic switch on my Bandsaw and it's fitted with a dust membrane on the front, try turning the switch around so that the Stop Button is at the bottom, this will put the connections and case holes underneath the housing.
(could always encase it in a plastic bag)

Do you ever have speed variations on the bandsaw? erratic operation?

NVR switches are normally pretty good, but there may be a loose connection further down the line that is producing arcing inside the switch. If its plugged into a normal 13 amp plug, is there any odd behaviour of any other appliances? Flickering lights?
I have seen a machine catch fire due to a loose neutral connection on the main distribution board, nothing wrong with the machine itself.

Youve made me think that a long time ago I might have promised to send you pics of my cure for dust falling out under the table of the axminster. If I have remembered correctly and you did ask but not receive, let me know. I blocked of the bottom 4" port altogether on my 350, and cut a hole in the angled 4" to catch all the dust. It works so well that the mark 1 prototype is still there 18 months later.

Brian you should not be getting any significant dust flying out of the blade guard slot on the side of the column, sounds as though you just do not have enough airflow volume to your extractor, the suction on the lower cabinet should be drawing air in via this slot and taking any minor dust shed buy the upward travelling blade back into the lower cabinet.

Back