AGS 10 Fence Issue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
I seem to have a problem with my fence ( well 2 problems actually)
the previous owner decided to imprint their saw blade into the side of it
my timber tries to dip into this so I will need a false fence,no big deal and something I should have done day 1, but it will throw out the nicely etched metric scale on the rails ( do I just use a longer pin and adjust)?
the main issue seems to be getting a consistent cut when I move it
I have cleaned rails and removed dust from rail clamp ..re-tightened bolts etc
every time I move it I can see that the distance between mitre slot and fence is a good 10mm out from front to back
the blade is perfect front to back measured to mitre slot
I had a niggle with the sound pitch changing mid cut which is why I re-checked everything
I can tap with hand force the fence back to within acceptable limits just cant work out what to do now to get it to move better

Steve

The fence on the AGS10 is adjustable in angle. It should be 2-3 mm further away from the mitre slot at the far end of the fence. See the exploded view in the Wadkin Library (note - there are old and new versions of the AGS10 and the fences are a bit different. 10 mm is much too much.

The full width fence can be used for sheet materials. But you also NEED a short fence (call it false if you will, but it is the one you should use for ripsawing timber), which extends just beyond the gullet of the teeth. A full width fence can cause kickback on ripping timber.

The scale will read correctly if the pin is pulled out (or a new pin if not long enough).

it is the old style, but i think it must be binding somewhere as i have adjusted the top 3 bolts and after a while it is out of line again

Steve

You do need to adjust the fence height so that the bottom of the fence is (only) just clear of the table. It should then move smoothly both ways by pushing just at the handle end (mine does). Are the guide rails straight and parallel, or has one got bent by chance?

Could you fill the saw blade scar with jb weld ? It's fantastic stuff !

My dad snapped his flip open car key, so I j.b welded it until a new one arrived. The key section was held in a slot with a pin- I couldn't break the repair. He's gonna carry on with it now until it does break.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

MusicMan":200ce2gq said:
You do need to adjust the fence height so that the bottom of the fence is (only) just clear of the table. It should then move smoothly both ways by pushing just at the handle end (mine does). Are the guide rails straight and parallel, or has one got bent by chance?
I think it is straight best I can tell
not sure how to adjust height?

Steve

MusicMan":1p4iz847 said:
Steve, I forget, but I know I did mine! I'll try to look it up. Is the fence dragging on the table?
it does seem to be
I noticed that the ruler pin was a bit low and dragging on the rails which I have adjusted
I will put a short fence on it at weekend
Steve

I can't see from the manual how the fence height is adjusted. I think maybe I just loosened the bolts and pulled it up then retightened (after checking the fence angle).

Certainly its angular position is very stable. If there is still a problem it may be the fence assembly needs stripping and investigating.

Keith

Back