Scandinavian workbench from old door stiles.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ttrees

Iroko loco!
Reaction score
Finally getting around to making a start on the bench :)
Just sorting these door stiles out for plugging.
I ideally would like these timbers to be a bit longer, as it would be nice to be able to work on more door stiles.
Will have to see how things pan out with the end caps.
Got to try out the new crown mortise chisel I got a while back on one or two lengths...
I will be looking out for a slimmer one now as the majority of the mortises are slimmer. What a chisel !

Got a big jug of titebond on the way, along with a veritas tailscrew and shoulder vise.

Dzj, that does look like a rather nice treat ! 8)
Care to share some details?

Tom

Attachments

• SAM_2111.JPG
    SAM_2111.JPG
    238.1 KB · Views: 248
  • SAM_2101.JPG
    SAM_2101.JPG
    219.5 KB · Views: 250
  • SAM_2098.JPG
    SAM_2098.JPG
    218 KB · Views: 250
Door stiles - what a good idea! Dave the builder (I share a house with) is bringing back old doors all the time, there must be several in the yard right now.

If you wanted the bench longer could you not interweave the rails, so that you've got Stile - Rail - Stile at each end? If you thought the areas where they butt together needed a bit of extra strength you could put threaded rods through close to where the ends of the rails are in the bench.

Hello
Somebody made this thread up for me, so I might as well
So I plan on making this bench to be something similar to the benches of Frank Klausz, and Rob Cosman's old one.
Other names for googling similar benches would be.. Hyvelbänk , Høvelbenk, diefenbach, Carters workbench,
Milo's Frank Klausz WIP ...I'm sure I'm leaving some out, I apologise for that.

I am thinking of adding some more stuff that I've seen from others too.
I'm just focusing on getting some of these long bits filled, as I will have to do this anyway for something or other.
These long lengths are the heaviest of the stiles, that's why they got picked first.

I was thinking of only using quartersawn stock for the bench, Might yet even.
I am going about this the hard way by chopping out the end grain tenons, as I think it will be easier in the long run.
Every length will be orientated the same direction for two reasons.
1 the grain will reflect the same, so the lamination's won't be as contrasting.
2 it will make it easier to plane and the mortises will be filled with grain running the same direction.

I was reading Sjobergs workbenches are made from single lengths for stability.
I'm taking that as in not warping, not necessarily done for strength purposes.
I will be using titebond as I have glued the base of this bench I am using at the minute with excellent results,
so strength won't be the issue.

I may just deem this too short and go through all the stock, no problem... as the filled ends might not be the
best for barrel bolts to affix the end caps anyway. splines will be used too.
I don't think the very long stock, with a short bit at the end would be nice to look at for the next era,
so I'm liable to do anything at this stage. (hammer)
Did you guess I'm OCD allready :p

The important things are chosen/figured now (mostly) , so its mainly gonna be a copy of the Klausz design top, but making it the height my bench is now, the length now also, and not having a stretcher where the tender part just over my kneecap is, as it hits against it planing wide boards, and would give me knee fluid problems.
I may keep it as a 4 legger, I have not made my mind up on that...the top comes first for me since I have legs allready.
Design changes on the top might include...
Cosman's new bench with the sliding light, but with a lip in the tool well for a lid to lay on for a wider bench surface.
Hinges on the underneath of the tool well, trap door kinda thing for clamping at the back of the bench.
Might be adding/welding up some metal support for the toolwell rail as Cosman shows it moves even with support.

Onto the underneath, thinking of a sliding deadman, but have not seen this used with a shoulder vice anywhere..
Might be good reason though...
Also thinking of making another deadman with a leg vise, that can be removable easily.

Square dogs finally chosen, thanks Todd!
Lovely hefty Veritas shoulder vise and tail vise screws
I think that's enough ranting for a bit

Tom

I intend to make this bench within the next year Andy, so I'm afraid I won't be going that route.
I've only been talking about this bench for a few years now :oops: :oops: :oops:
so I have to get to it.
These tenons are a bear themselves, and I don't like hammering on my composite top.
I don't think there's too much work to be done on the door rails though :?:
I don't want to look till I get all these long timbers chiseled and plugged? insert correct terminology here
Then I might ponder a bit more.

Tom

Ttrees":yk9mnq1y said:
Finally getting around to making a start on the bench :)

Dzj, that does look like a rather nice treat ! 8)
Care to share some details?

Tom

You're making a hobelbank! How cool is that! It's a great project.
I started out with such a bench about 30 years ago, but had to part ways with it as it was bug-ridden and
generaly beyond repair. I then built a smaller version of it which served me well for many years.
Finally time permitted me to build myself a new proper bench this year.
I'll post some photos of the build in the 'Projects, workshop tours and past mistakes' forum this evening.
In the meantime here's a fun little German song about the workbench. :)

edited: changed from 'design' forum to 'Projects, workshop tours and past mistakes'

Starts around 0:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe_-yBigbAw

Great re-use of material Tom =D>

Ttrees":3q3mxoht said:
Square dogs finally chosen, thanks Todd!
Round dogs > square.

Round are so much more versatile, even if you're not buying any commercial dogs/fittings for them.

ED65":2ovdaem4 said:
Round are so much more versatile, even if you're not buying any commercial dogs/fittings for them.

:D
Thanks ED65
That's a big can of worms, the only thing I can think of that makes both parties happy is,
You can make a round dog in a square dog, but not a square in a round dog, somehow.
It's not like time is a factor (insert hysterical laughing emoji) :)

Back