tool posts & rests

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
I have a 10" long cast one that came with the lathe but its getting a bit battered

so, I thought I'd make myself some tool rests.
I have some thick wall stainless steel (25mm) tube for the posts.
Looking for ideas and inspiration.

I don't have facilities to weld the SS so the making of the T is a problem, but I am hoping clever folks here have ideas.

Also regards the rest itself; are you all using round bar or what?

If all else fails I might splash out on the Sorby system unless you have better suggestions

Not sure tubing will be rigid enough for something with a 5" overhang and the clamping bolt would deform it I suspect.

The only ones I've made have been turned up from MS stock for the stems and either Silver Soldered or bolted together with 6mm CS Screws.

Mixture of Blade and Bar.
rests.jpg

Attachments

• rests.jpg
    rests.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 1,493
wow!
fast reply Chas, many thanks

The tube has a 3mm wall (nuclear grade pressure pipe 8) ), but I agree I need to be careful.
My thinking was to fill it with (turned to size) nylon rod and then fit a rawlbolt (simply because I have these already)
But I might buy sorby posts and just DIY the rests

Thanks for photos; that's the inspiration I was looking for.

Think 10mm wall on a 25mm dia. pipe is rigid enough. :)

You could Tap the bore to take a threaded spigot/stud for the cross bars to screw on to.

CHJ":368fgg8r said:
Think 10mm wall on a 25mm dia. pipe is rigid enough. :)

You could Tap the bore to take a threaded spigot/stud for the cross bars to screw on to.

was a typo now ammended :oops:

IIRC the post is the cheaper part of the Sørby system.

Also worth checking what is available- Stiles and bates made some, I think. Certainly one of the bigger turning suppliers made their own.

CHJ":3qlmv9wi said:
Not sure tubing will be rigid enough for something with a 5" overhang and the clamping bolt would deform it I suspect.

The only ones I've made have been turned up from MS stock for the stems and either Silver Soldered or bolted together with 6mm CS Screws.

Mixture of Blade and Bar.
Nice work.

I have one of the Stiles and Bates round bar jobbies and use it a lot. Can't remember how much it cost, but I dont remember it being expensive. It was some years ago!

I bit the bullet and bought a Sorby 25mm tool stem.

Does anyone know what the thread size is?
I have lots of taps (but few dies) but can't see one similar. As I anticipate making my own rests i may need to unchain the wallet again :(

Had assumed it was a "m" but it looks a bit finer.

Tom, I know you kindly offered a loan but it might be something I will want to use regular ish

I have seen a couple of things online saying M12 x 1.25. I don't have a thread gauge to check my own.

Back