Dust Extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I know this may me a topic thats been done to death, but I'm picking up my new lathe in a couple of days and thought now was the opportunity to put something more permanent in place rather than the 100 mm hose I move along the bed as needed.
Does the expert team have any suggestions? I might add that I only have about 14" behind the lathe bed.

Thanks

Looking forward to some answers on this, i am in a similar situation. I was thinking of making a collection box on the back of the lathe, the idea being that a low pressure will be created directly behind the workpiece, this in turn sucks the dust and shaving away before they get airborne. This is in my head at the moment so cannot post pictures, i plan on starting it this week by make a cardboard mockup first as this is easier that cutting and wasting wood.

A lot will depend upon:-
1 which machine you are getting,
2. whether it has swivelling head,
3. bench Stand details. etc.

This might give you food for thought.

On my first basic lathe, as the bulk of my turning tended to be chuck mounted as opposed to a lot of spindle work I found mounting a hood on the headstock gave me best dust entrapment.

When I changed lathes I tried various other scenarios and once again settled on a crude headstock mounted hood arrangement that I was able to mount using existing fixings.

On my machine this adds no significant extra front to back depth and vents down through the lathe mounting bench via a blast gate.
The blast gate is fitted to enable a long hose stored on the floor under the lathe bench to be brought out for shop cleaning or alternate dust entrapment if needed.

As you can see, it has had many years of use and it suits my way of working, it has a slight for-aft adjustment to optimise the chuck clearance to improve dust collection.
hood1.jpg
hood2.jpg

It swivels with headstock.
hood3.jpg

Crude sliding adjustment.
hood4.jpg

Attachments

• hood1.jpg
    hood1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,530
  • hood2.jpg
    hood2.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,530
  • hood3.jpg
    hood3.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 1,530
  • hood4.jpg
    hood4.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,530
Depends on whether you are wanting to collect wood shavings or are targeting dust (fine dust that gets stuck in your sinuses and super fine dust that gets down into the lungs) and ends up covering everything in your workshop.
I find that shavings end up all over the place as they are directed in various directions based on the direction of cut so designing a hood to catch them wont be easy.
My main concern is the dust as I am mildly sensitised to dust from some timbers and my aim is to be able to use the lathe in an essentially dust free environment only needing a face shield. I'm happy to sweep the shavings off the floor at the end of the day. I'm in the process of installing a ducted extraction system in my shed based on the design of Bill Penz. Bill maintains a web page with a wealth of information on dust extraction covering topics from respiratory issues caused by wood dust to impeller and ducting design. You will have to google Bill Penz as I dont have permission to post links

A couple of simple points to consider if you are thinking dust extraction:
-To collect dust you will need a minimum 2 hp extractor set up with 150mm ducting. The need for larger ducting is explained by Bill Penz. The Australian Woodworking Forum (AWF) has a post on some relatively simple modification to 2 hp or 3 hp dust extractors to get them moving sufficient air to collect dust
Google "generic-2hp-dc-171247"
-A bagged dust extractor should be located outside your shed or at least discharging air (and dust) outside the shed. (Notice how much dust puffs out of the dust extractor bags when it starts up).
If you decide to go down this path there is a whole section of the AWF devoted to dust collection that contains all sorts of useful and some less useful information.

Tony

My solution isnt as good as the above (edit : or below!) but it works ok enough.

My main collection is with a 2hp axminster dust/chip extractor and a 100mm tube (I could use 150mm with it but dont as I had 100mm stuff already). I also bought the Axminster wide mouth collector (black plastic) and gaffer taped to the end of the tube.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/big-mouth-dust-hood-200114

I then use the ultra sophisticated method of wooden blocks and gaffer tape to fix the wide mouth collector where I want it to be on my bench as close to the lathe & workpiece as is appropriate.(This could also be done by taping the wide mouth colector to a moveable stand.. I'm waiting on an ex-dentist drill stand ). As a first line of protection this seems ok enough.

I've been recently experimenting with a duel approach: a vacuum extractor with a 4" head positioned below the work with a flexi tube that allows repositioning and then a microclene fine air filter suspended from the ceiling directly in front of where I breathe.

The whole setup is only for fine dust, not shavings but it's designed to keep the nasty stuff away from my air passages. I've messed around with the positioning quite a bit and introduced the microclene when I found the lower extraction on its own wasn't getting all the higher airborne particles off larger bowls. The higher positioned MC does pick those up as its suction is pretty powerful that close up. Basically the entire air stream from my chest to the top of my head now veers away from me and towards the back of the lathe.

The MC is held in position at its side with a rare earth magnet glued to a purpose cut positioning wooden piece. Its all a bit heath robinson because I wanted to check it worked before wasting too much time. So far, nothing in a nose blown tissue after sanding whereas before....awful mess!

IMG_5905.JPG
IMG_5906.JPG
IMG_5907.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5905.JPG
    IMG_5905.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 1,511
  • IMG_5906.JPG
    IMG_5906.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 1,511
  • IMG_5907.JPG
    IMG_5907.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,511
Chas thanks for the reply and pics.
I have upgraded from my old Axminster M900 to the AWVSL 1000, still in the hobby range but good enough for me.

It comes with a stand, has a swivel head etc the same as my 900 ( I might add that my 900 has given me 14 years of good service) but has the longer bed between centres.
For bowl and short spindle work your set up is just what I need, but I guess for long spindle work I'll need to design something that I can move up the lathe bed.

I am only interested isn collecting the the fine dust from sanding that gets in the air, for the turning part I always wear a Trend Air Ace.

I think I'll do a mock up or your set up if it's ok with you and see how I get on.

Tony_A":vxbhcyjr said:
Depends on whether you are wanting to collect wood shavings or are targeting dust (fine dust that gets stuck in your sinuses and super fine dust that gets down into the lungs) and ends up covering everything in your workshop.
I find that shavings end up all over the place as they are directed in various directions based on the direction of cut so designing a hood to catch them wont be easy.
My main concern is the dust as I am mildly sensitised to dust from some timbers and my aim is to be able to use the lathe in an essentially dust free environment only needing a face shield. I'm happy to sweep the shavings off the floor at the end of the day. I'm in the process of installing a ducted extraction system in my shed based on the design of Bill Penz. Bill maintains a web page with a wealth of information on dust extraction covering topics from respiratory issues caused by wood dust to impeller and ducting design. You will have to google Bill Penz as I dont have permission to post links

A couple of simple points to consider if you are thinking dust extraction:
-To collect dust you will need a minimum 2 hp extractor set up with 150mm ducting. The need for larger ducting is explained by Bill Penz. The Australian Woodworking Forum (AWF) has a post on some relatively simple modification to 2 hp or 3 hp dust extractors to get them moving sufficient air to collect dust
Google "generic-2hp-dc-171247"
-A bagged dust extractor should be located outside your shed or at least discharging air (and dust) outside the shed. (Notice how much dust puffs out of the dust extractor bags when it starts up).
If you decide to go down this path there is a whole section of the AWF devoted to dust collection that contains all sorts of useful and some less useful information.

Tony

Thanks for the response Tony A.
As mentioned above, it is only the dust that I want to capture before it gets in the air. As far as extractors are concerned I have a couple of mobile drum type powerful enough for the job, also a fixed workshop dust extraction system.
I really need advice on how to set up specifically for the lathe.
As a first start I'm going to try and replicate Chas's set up and see if it works for me.

Random Orbital Bob":107c7gge said:
I've been recently experimenting with a duel approach: a vacuum extractor with a 4" head positioned below the work with a flexi tube that allows repositioning and then a microclene fine air filter suspended from the ceiling directly in front of where I breathe.

The whole setup is only for fine dust, not shavings but it's designed to keep the nasty stuff away from my air passages. I've messed around with the positioning quite a bit and introduced the microclene when I found the lower extraction on its own wasn't getting all the higher airborne particles off larger bowls. The higher positioned MC does pick those up as its suction is pretty powerful that close up. Basically the entire air stream from my chest to the top of my head now veers away from me and towards the back of the lathe.

The MC is held in position at its side with a rare earth magnet glued to a purpose cut positioning wooden piece. Its all a bit heath robinson because I wanted to check it worked before wasting too much time. So far, nothing in a nose blown tissue after sanding whereas before....awful mess!

Bob

Sometimes the belt and braces method works best. I do like the way you've got the filter set up, mine is located at the end of the lathe on the wall, might need to think about repositioning.
I have been using one of those rigid type hoses from Rutlands, works ok ish but a fiddle to position correctly as the type of work changes. I don't have enough space behind the lathe to have one of the Axi stands which would work the the head stock end, maybe I need to design something that will ride on a round bar that can be easily moved along the bed.
The mind is still all fuzzed up with ideas. I'm away tomorrow for 3 weeks, so it will give me time to come up with something, that I hope won't resemble something from outer space.

Briefly: powerful cyclone extractor ducted all round workshop.

On lathe, narrow slit hood mounted on tripod stand can be positioned at will. Beneath the work, a large funnel type chute that collects a lot of the bigger stuff. Both have blast gates and could be used singly or together.

Waka, have a look at
<<this from 12 yrs ago, lathe layout should be similar to my old Performe.

Mounted directly on the motor with the slim duct feeding the motor cooling and keeping the dust from being blown about by the motor.

If you can cut a hole in the wall behind your lathe a fan mounted in it will pull all the dust out. No good in the winter months but great in the summer. I got a couple 16 or 18 inch ones from a gas furnace from work (the big box type mounted on the ceiling) that packed it in and put them in the wall of my fathers shop. He lived on an acreage, so no neighbours to worry about. If you can't scrounge up a used one, the kind sold to farmers are the same and they have shutters that close over the hole. My father used an old refrigerator door hung horizontally over the opening. :) Example of the fans below.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/search? ... ating+fans

What Tasmanian Tony said about Bill Pentz and the Aussie site is good advise and there are some discussions about bell mouth hoods that improve airflow into the duct or hose by your machine. The box enclosures mentioned already would benefit using one to transition into the hose. BobL posted video of one by a spindle and shows how it can pick up sanding dust several inches away from the side of the hood. It is basically like the fan openings on a hovercraft. They can be made by turning one of wood or forming PVC pipe over a turned mandrel and heating the plastic.

Pete

Inspector":txbl0jo3 said:
If you can cut a hole in the wall behind your lathe a fan mounted in it will pull all the dust out. No good in the winter months but great in the summer. I got a couple 16 or 18 inch ones from a gas furnace from work (the big box type mounted on the ceiling) that packed it in and put them in the wall of my fathers shop. He lived on an acreage, so no neighbours to worry about. If you can't scrounge up a used one, the kind sold to farmers are the same and they have shutters that close over the hole. My father used an old refrigerator door hung horizontally over the opening. :) Example of the fans below.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/search? ... ating+fans

What Tasmanian Tony said about Bill Pentz and the Aussie site is good advise and there are some discussions about bell mouth hoods that improve airflow into the duct or hose by your machine. The box enclosures mentioned already would benefit using one to transition into the hose. BobL posted video of one by a spindle and shows how it can pick up sanding dust several inches away from the side of the hood. It is basically like the fan openings on a hovercraft. They can be made by turning one of wood or forming PVC pipe over a turned mandrel and heating the plastic.

Pete

Thanks Pete, going through the wall seems a good idea but unfortunately my workshop wall is the boundary with next door. With all the information supplied on this thread I have a rough idea of what I'm going to do and I bet stage 1 won't be the first and last attempt.

Back