Burgess BBS 20 bandsaw needs top and bottom guides

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marvalus

Reaction score
I have acquired an old Burgess / Powerline BBS20 Mk2 three wheel bandsaw. However the top and bottom blade guides are missing. I know it is an old machine but does anyone have a set of guides? Possibly there are guides from another manufacturer that would fit ...! I may just have to scrap it.

Three wheel bandsaws get a very bad press. I havent owned one, but mostly the advice is to buy a 2 wheel.

which bit is actually missing- just the blocks or the whole assemblies?

3 wheeled saws are alright, used within their limits. you need to be careful with blades- if you use tuffsaws, let Ian know that you have a 3 wheeled saw because some blades are less suitable. If you use elsewhere for blades, then be aware.

Who's turned theirs into a linisher ?
I had great hopes that my 6" wide stationary belt sander belt would fit :(
I have seen folks gluing their own belts up though, I might do that some day.
I would not bother either making or buying guides for that machine

Tom

I had a BBS 20 and found it very useful.Three wheel saws can work well,but the very small wheels of the Burgess can quickly fatigue the blades if they are not of a very thin nature.I don't have pictures or a manual for the Burgess but I do remember the guides being square plastic and I don't suppose the particular type of plastic is hugely important its only about 5mm square as I recall.If the whole assembly below the top wheel and above the lower wheel is missing it becomes more of a challenge.A tame metalworker is useful then.You need to fit a blade to the saw and take enough measurements to devise a scheme for a replacement or hope some kind soul here can provide some information.A few hacksaw cuts ,some drilling and tapping and you could have a handy saw,but it won't be a Startrite 352.

I had a BK3, fine while you could keep the blade in one piece... which wasn't for very long.

I've used a Burgess three wheeler bandsaw for about twenty years. I bought it secondhand.
It still cuts well, up to its capacity, which is about 3 inches.
Don't be put off by the naysayers!

I can take some pictures of the guides on mine if you like - they shouldn't be hard to make from a few scraps, with some basic drilling and riveting.

I've scanned the BK3 manual, which is probably similar, here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxtEkh ... dlOGM/view

Back